Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 January 2005
This is a lovely book for children aged from three upwards, although the verse is so nice to listen to that younger children might enjoy it as well. What I like best about it is that the rhythms and sounds are such a pleasure to read aloud, my daughter likes the silly story (about little green-headed people called jumblies who go on a big sea voyage in a sieve), and the illustrations are also lovely. It is nice to read a classic poem which I remember from my own childhood, which is more fun to read than a lot of current children's books and is illustrated as beautifully as most. If you enjoy reading more modern verse books for children such as the Gruffalo, you will almost certainly enjoy this one. Definitely recommended and one you and your child(ren) will come back to again and again without either of you getting bored by it!
on 4 December 2001
Every child knows the Owl and the Pussycat, but the Jumblies is more fun! The catchy chorus is simple, silly and easy to learn, enabling children to become involved in the book, even before they can read it. The illustrations are beautiful.
on 14 November 2013
Timeless classic - utterly daft but weirdly real. Along with the owl and the pussycat, essential reading if nonsense verse appeals. Makes you want to get up and windsurf to Barbados - with your family and pets tucked into the old rucksack!
The simple, playful illustrations add to the enchantment.
Highly reccomended.
on 7 February 2016
'The Jumblies’ by Edward Lear
Illustrated by Sam McPhillips

This is a beautifully illustrated picture book, featuring the classic nonsense poem by Edward Lear; a truly rhythmical read.

‘They went to sea in a Sieve, they did,
In a Sieve they went to sea:
In spite of all their friends could say,
On a winter's morn, on a stormy day,
In a Sieve they went to sea! . . .’

What a wonderful way to introduce children to the world of classic literature and the nonsense poem of Edward Lear. This is a poem to share with children of all ages. It has beautiful bright images to capture their attention especially showing the little Jumblies.

‘. . .Far and few, far and few,
Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue,
And they went to sea in a Sieve.’

I have today been informed that my sister’s grandson (whom I bought the book for) loves it.

Happy Reading
review image
on 25 April 2016
I adore The Jumblies. It brings back childhood memories that I wanted to pass on to my own children. And now my 3 year old can recite most of it after multiple bed time readings. Illustrating nonsense verse can be quite tricky, but the pictures by Ian Beck in this version are lovely.
on 18 May 2012
A lovely fun story to enhance the imagination for children and adults :-) take a look at his other well known titles too I love the owl and the pussycat :-)
on 27 March 2010
The words as expected - the difference is the illustrations. Eye catching - great for the youngsters and grownup ones reading it to them.
on 26 July 2013
My son got this book from nursery and liked it so much that I bought him his own book and I have to read it every night. Highly recommend
on 22 March 2015
I love this book . I have for many years. Now I read it to my 3 year old granddaughter. Great bright colors and imaginary creatures.
on 24 March 2016
We love this book. Was in great shape when it arrived as well.