on 19 April 2017
I read this recently as it was on the reading list for a course in writing for children. I was sceptical as it was written many years ago (and we were told to read things published in the last 6 years). But wow – this is phenomenal! The writing style had me gripped from the beginning. Blackman doesn’t waste any time with fluffy stuff that’s not relevant, yet she crafts her characters so cleverly, I felt like I knew them really well by the end.
I didn’t expect the ending either…
on 27 July 2014
I thought Noughts and Crosses was an astonishing read. It’s incredibly well written and a very powerful book.

Nought and Crosses is told through a first person, dual narrative. We hear from 13 year old Sephy, who is from the ruling class. She’s a Cross. Her childhood best friend Callum is a Nought. He has become incredibly disaffected by the society he lives in. It is through these narratives that we learn about the racist society in which our characters live in and experience. Sephy and Callum are incredibly developed characters that the reader quickly can sympathise. I thought these characters seemed to be so real.

Nought and Crosses is all about racism and prejudices of all kind. It is brutally honest about how prejudice hurts both sides. It made me stop and question my own attitude towards things which I think is such a powerful thing to achieve as a writer. I don’t often find myself reflecting on my own beliefs and attitudes when I’m reading a piece of fiction, but Malorie Blackman’s writing made me do so. I think as well as being enjoyable, but heart-breaking, that it is incredibly educational and a poignant read for teenagers and adults alike.

Some of the content is incredibly graphic, so it’s not suitable for younger readers. I think if used effectively with teenagers this book could evoke some important and educational discussion and debate. I can’t wait to read the sequel.
on 29 December 2016
5* because I felt every single feeling the characters felt. I was Sephy and Callum simultaneously throughout the entire book.

I don't have much to write because I have too much to say. If I start, I won't stop.

A must read.

P.s. have some tissues at hand xx
on 17 May 2017
It really left me cold this book. I had intended to read it for a long time but I kept thinking at so many points in the book WHY are the characters so stupid? The baddies are pantomine villians lacking in moivation and the protaganists just need a slap.
It gets 2 stars because it is not totally unreadable but I will not be reading the follow up. Don't buy it. If you must read it, just borrow a copy off someone else.
on 29 March 2017
Great book especially for teenagers
on 18 June 2017
good
on 24 March 2017
Excellent service. Would happily use again
on 11 April 2017
My son was asked to read this S his Easter homework and having read the first few pages with him i was hooked and ordered my own copy for my kindle. Brilliant from start to finish.
on 1 April 2017
One of the best books I've ever read. Amazing story and there's not one point throughout the whole book where you're bored. I'd recommend this book to anyone.
on 17 May 2017
Bought this book for my son, he loved it and even recommend that I read. Will do so soon.