Customer reviews

on 16 September 2008
A beautifully imaginative story set in an alternative medieval dimension. Tells the tale of an long-forgotten world where dragons ruled planet and were in the midst of war (Fire Dragons in the South, Snow Dragons in the North). In the stretch of land that divided the two poles, a race called Twolegs (humans) lived, inferior to the dragons and scampering around in continual fear. The story focuses upon the characters of the Snow Dragon Queen, the Fire Dragon King, a young boy, and a manipulative character called The Book (a prophet with a an unforgiving streak). The story drops in at the time when the Snow Dragons are on the retreat and only the Queen has survived. `The Book' spurs on both dragon leaders to higher levels of antagonism, whilst the prophecy of a two-leg wiping out both armies looms ever-closer.

Suitable for Year 3, but can be read to Year 1 perhaps at the end of school day (placement at Oliver's Battery). Gives great room for imagination, and holds interest with rich characters and illustrations. Behind the luscious setting of dragons and magic, the pupils will retain and become interested in the principles of science (hot, cold, steam, etc) and geography (hemispheres, the world and climate) as a result of this lovingly crafted tale.
on 1 May 2008
My daughter, now 5, has loved this book since she was about 2, and it is one we keep coming back to reread. It is a wonderful book, and beautifully illustrated. The story feels like a classic myth, with some kind and lovable and some irascible characters. Both the quirkiness of the characters and the twists and turns of the plot give it a depth that few books, especially picture books have. I highly recommend it and have given it as gifts on many occasions.
on 25 November 2005
My son and I thouroughly enjoyed this book. the story and the illustrations are wonderful.
The story is about a little boy who has led a very sheltered life, who goes on to undertake a very dangerous journey in a bid to restore peace to his land.
There is a lot of action, with the last of the ice dragons battleing the many bad tempered fire dragons, a very naughty spell book who is determined that nothing will go smoothly and a happy ending twinged with the sadness of sacrifice.
This is a brilliant book if you enjoy reading aloud to your child due to the lively and exciting story and very detailed illustration. We thought it was brilliant!!!
on 28 December 2009
This is a really nice picture book suitable for children from 4-8 ish. I have 2 boys aged 4 and 8 and both of them love this book. The story is detailed enough to hold the interest of my 8 year old, and the pictures keep the interest of my 4 year old.
on 28 February 2012
My son was reading this at school and he spoke about this a lot at home. I had not read the book, so I bought it, so we could discuss this together. It was delivered really promptly. We have read the book and he loves it read to him at bedtime.

The illustrations are bright and bold and he loves explaining it to me.

Good purchase.The Snow Dragon
on 15 December 2012
I chose this book for the illustrations, but the best thing is that my 4 year old granddaughters love it, they want it at bedtime and when they wake up in the morning, and they like to look at it on their own when I'm not reading to them. I could hear one of them acting the part of the nasty King Fire Dragon, saying "I'm King of the World and I want a big throne, because I like big thrones". (She made up the bit about thrones). The other one was trying to tell her daddy the story and showing him the North and the South of the World, so it's educational as well. I thought the story might be a bit complicated for them, or frightening, but it's their favourite, and gives great scope for the reader to do different voices - the young 'twoleg', the nasty fire dragon, the peaceful snow dragon, and the horrid sniggering Book. Buy it, it's a treat.
on 21 January 2015
What a beautiful and well written book. It was bought as a present for a 7 year old boy, and is definitely a book I will buy again for my own daughter. A quick read through made it look like it was engaging and a nice story for them to read.
on 23 February 2014
The children in my class loved this book. The illustrations are great and inspired lots of art work. The story has an unusual ending and my children added their own interpretation.

A lovely book which I will use over and over again.
on 21 January 2014
As a teacher I have read this story to 7-9 yr olds. They have all liked it. Great pictures and you can ask a lot of questions to go with the understanding of this books & the topics that come up.
on 10 February 2016
We have used this book with a Year 2 /3 class studying Our 4 Nations with a link to giants and dragons. A fabulous story - much enjoyed and an inspiration for our own story writing.