Customer reviews

Pumpkin Soup
Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 September 2017
Lovely story book to read and then keep.
on 9 January 2002
I'm a children's librarian and I treasure this book. And my "story-timers" agree. The illustrations are beautiful--a real visual treat--and the story, how the best of friends can sometimes have disagreements, is so sweetly told even the youngest children are entertained. It's simply a wonderful book and Helen Cooper belongs up there in the Beatrice Potter pantheon.
on 24 March 1999
This is a beautiful book which my three and a half year old son wants read to him "again and again" along with Helen Cooper's The Baby Who Wouldn't Go To Bed. The story is simple, examining friendship and the complex emotions that go with it. The pictures are beautiful, whimsical - yet full of detail. The lovely warm tones and colours in the artwork make the book a cosy relaxing bedtime read. I can not do it justice - except to say I think this book will become a timeless classic and would recommend it for any child.
on 27 October 2017
My son loves this story. We talk about being kind and sharing jobs / the things we like with our friends and family. Perfect for this time of year, when pumpkins are everywhere!
on 28 April 2003
A lovely and original book.
Loved it because children can relate to it. It tells about the same mischif they themselves might get up to on any given day. Not only are the illustrations beautiful but the story too which is so important. A book that no parent will mind (too much) to read over and over again as is the custom for us poor souls to do.
A book I would keep for my childrens children.!!!!
on 16 November 2007
they always do it the same way, until little Duck thinks he's got a better idea.....'

I was captivated by the book corner at a recent primary class I visited, in connection with helping young children cook as part of my course.
'Pumpkin Soup' was the source book and 'the reading corner' was alive with the green and gold tones of Autumn, and pictures/poems about the three lovable characters, with some amazing attention to detail even down to the bag-pipes!
It proved an excellent platform for a project and the children couldn't hide their delight in acting out their little pieces - it sure brought a tear to the eye.
I particularly noticed the flow of lively replacements for the word, 'said', which the children really emphasised with apparent ease - e.g. 'squeaked', 'snapped', 'stormed', 'scoffed', 'muttered', 'sniffed', 'wept', 'whispered' and 'yelped', and these words followed through into the written work too.

The 32 high quality page book is a beautifully illustrated, well written tale with a distinct message - sharing and compromise - and don't we all know how difficult that can be at certain ages?

Simply delightful book and likely to be a regular choice from the bookshelf!
on 24 July 2000
My three children (ages 3 - 6) enjoyed this book so much I've bought three further copies as presents for the children of friends,
A near perfect balance between text and illustration means this book appeals to readers and non-readers alike. The story handles the issues of friendship, sharing, co-operation and fear of loss very adroitly without at anytime impinging on the storytelling. The illustrations are rich with colour, detail and movement and really grab a child's interest.
Get the hardback version if you can, it's going to get a lot of use and you're going to want it to last!
on 18 October 2003
As a Y2 teacher I'm always on the lookout for quality picture books. This has to be my current favourite and the three classes I've introduced it to have all been enraptured by Sqwirl, Dukc and Kat (sic). It's a marvellous springboard for creative writing and artwork, obviously best at Autmun, with a classroom full of pumpkins and child-chef-soup bubbling in the kitchen area! Congratulations Helen, keep them coming!
on 19 November 2000
What a super book, the pictures are terrific and the story is enough to keep any three year old entertained night after night. My little boy was in hospital when this book was lent to us and we read it over and over again until we went home. I've just ordered him his own copy for Christmas!
on 23 January 2005
This was the second book to totally captivate my son, who is now three and still adores it. The first book was Helen Cooper's 'The Baby Who Wouldn't Go To Bed', which is still a firm favourite. The illustrations are works of art and draw you effortlessly into the story. Helen Cooper has turned my once book shy son into one eager little book worm.