Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 December 2016
typical great pratchett
on 25 June 2017
Anything by Terry I love.
on 13 October 2003
I didn't like Nightwatch much, mainly because it concentrated almost entirely on one character - I always thought Pratchett's best work was when he has two or three plot strands on the go at the same time.
I wasn't exactly thrilled when I heard Vimes was in Monstrous Regiment - I do like the character, but both Night Watch and the previous Fifth Elephant didn't exactly do it for me.
But anyway, even Pratchett's bad books are eminently readable.
This is not one of Pratchett's bad books. It's one of his best.
It's a long way from being his funniest, but given the subject, that's a good thing. It's got a few things to say about war, and it's entertaining.
It gets a little silly towards the end when... oh, you'll know when you get there, but even though you feel it shouldn't work, it does, magnificently.
And even though it mostly focusses on Polly, it doesn't get boring in the slightest.
To summarise, it's a mix of Mulan and Apocalypse Now with a hefty dose of pantomime thrown in as well.
Well done, Mr Pratchett. Now if only you'd bring the witches back...
on 3 March 2004
OK. I agree that this isn't one of his best but when you consider it's the 27th (or was it the 28th) Discworld book we can forgive TP for a heck of a lot worse than this. There are very few writers who can go on producing work of the quality we have come to expect from him for as long and as consistently as he has. Parts of the book are very dark and there is a lot of anger in some of the writing so I suspect that Terry is expressing more of his own feelings than usual. Roll on the next!
on 8 November 2003
The premise of this book is a simple one using the familiar story of a girl dressing as a boy. In Monstrous Regiment the heroine sets out to join the army to discover what has happened to her brother. The story looks at her induction into her regiment and their activities in the war.
If that doesn't sounds much like a Terry Pratchett novel, that's what I was beginning to think by a third of the way through the book. Up to that point, although the story was told with a great deal of wit and humour, it just didn't have the Pratchett magic. However, the latter two thirds of the book are just what I have come to expect from the master of comic fantasy.
While there are very few of the old, favourite characters here, new ones are introduced which I hope will appear again. Pratchett neatly sidesteps the trap of creating a "war is hell" homily, instead giving us an extremely funny look at women in a mans world. On the way, he pastiches the angst of the Vietnam films and I'm sure it is no coincidence that the book spotlights a country which just can't seem to stop from picking fights with all its neighbours (the timing of the book after the activities of the last year is superb).
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2004
I noticed a few reviews that did not like this work, and I wanted to put my two cents in. I enjoyed this book a lot. Not as much as I enjoyed Night Watch, but still, I enjoyed it. For those who complained about it, this is SATYRE at it's best. Satyre is suppose to make fun and be against all things great and small. Pratchett has hit everything from one end of the universe to the other with his often biting wit. If you find this book, or any of his books 'Left Wing', might I recomend some of books from America's Bill O'Reilly, after all, you do not seem to have any humour at all.
on 30 March 2012
The only Pratchett I have been disappinted with. Got the clever title, and the message, but overall found it dull. I had to force myself to finish it, and at the end was left thinking 'why?' Avoid and skip to the next Discworld novel.
on 1 December 2003
Terry's really back on form with Monstrous Regiment. The Amazing Maurice and The Wee Free Men seem to have given him the fresh perspective he needed - now he's writing good new Discoworld books to go in the 'grown-up' section too.
The plot is really strong here, and since I was reading it in installments, in Books Etc, I can assure you the suspense is great - I fretted myself to hell wandering what would happen next.
The lost star is for two reasons. Firstly, some of the characters were a little underdeveloped for the body of the book. I couldn't really remember the difference between Shufti, Lofty, Tonker and Wazzer before the later stages of the book. Its a shame, because when their characters developed, they were great. They had the potential to be a group as dynamic as the Watch, once they came into their own.
The second reason is because I thought the ending was slightly weak in some ways. I won't give it away, but there are revelations which could have used some ground work (I'm not refferring to the sergeant's, which was great), and it didn't really deliver the point of the message that the book had been building up to. However, in the last few pages, the story rallied.
I hope this isn't the last we see of Polly and the Ins-and-Outs. I comapred them to the A-M city Watch and I'd love to see them go the same way - grow and change and change their environment the way Vimes and Carrot et al have A-M. The potential is definately there.
on 31 December 2003
I bought the hardback as soon as it came out.... I will continue to do so with Pratchett books, but I do have to say, I was a bit disappointed.....
As his books have matured, his style has matured more as well, and in many cases the later books take up quite complex issues and through the use of characters, address them.... however in this one, I felt it somehow missed the point just a little. The characters were still good, the message about war was there, but not quite as brought home as you would expect.....
Commander vimes may as well have not been in the book, for all the part he had... it felt originally like he was going go have a larger part, but Pterry changed his mind.
Still... everyone can have an off day, and after so many other brilliant works, I guess even Pratchett had it coming.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 November 2004
There must be very little left that has not be said about the genius that is Terry Pratchett, no wonder he is England's best selling living author.
This book has a slightly different slant to it. It is about a young girl, Polly Perks who has her own reasons for going to the recruiting sergeant with a pair of socks pushed down her trousers and asking to join "This man's army". Included in her section are a set of misfits including an "Igor" and a reformed vampire and why not.
They all march off with their new sergeant who says he is determined to look after "my boys" and will not let any harm befall them . . .
There is a nice comic twist at the end of the book, maybe you will see it coming.
Many people try to imitate Pratchett. Take it from me it's impossible.