on 30 August 2015
The first 90 pages are a load of bloat about Vimes on holiday with his offspring, and this is clearly Pratchett living the life of his alter-ego. It has nothing to do with the rest of the book and is a poor way to open a novel. Beyond that, Pratchett's humour had suddenly become vulgar, extremely so. It always used to be brash, slapstick and in-your-face, but at least it wasn't vulgar. What's changed? Here was a perfect opportunity for him to write a Miss Marple spoof, or a Murder She Wrote spoof, but instead its pretty much a continuing soap opera of the life of Vimes. I stopped reading his novels after "Monstrous Regiment" which was just so dull I could barely finish it, and have decided to catch up on the books I have missed in the meantime. If they're like this one, I won't have a lot of fun. His earlier novels (volume 4 onwards) were a hoot.
on 21 May 2017
Another excellent Sam Vimes tale, fuelled by anger, indignation and bacon sandwiches (or so he wishes-too much L & T not enough B) he sets about chasing down wrongdoers. Great fun, good to see more of Vimes & Lady Sybil.
Stephen Briggs is as always perfect for the audio version-thoroughly good read or listen!
This book is, just as the other from the Discworld series, incredibly funny. But this time the humor is a bit darker and the moral message is more present than ever.

What I've liked the best, probably, is that the moral of the book is painfully real in every sense. No pretty finale, no perfect world, just some things are better. For now.

I expected Sam Vimes to go for the non pragmatic but nonetheless more soul comforting solution, but instead he did what he couldn't help but do, on fear of his inner beast to become unleashed: not taking the law in his own hands, no matter what. And with this I mean not being judge, jury and executioner, just the copper.

In the end the discworld becomes a tiny bit better, Vetinari ties loose ends in his own style, Vimes didn't unleash his beast and Young Sam got a great collection of poo. That's the talent of Sir Terry, mixing with success something terrible, something funny, something incredible and produce a great book.

I'm eager to read the next one.
on 27 September 2012
I've been a huge fan of the Discworld series for many years, first reading 'The Colour of Magic' 25 or so years ago (wow!) and loving most of the books since. Perhaps I'm reviewing this harshly by comparing it to the previous books, but Snuff just didn't seem to be up to the same standard. I've nearly wet myself with laughter reading previous Discworld titles, Snuff certainly made me smile, but rarely anything more. And the story was entertaining enough, but it didn't seem to have the depth or complexity that we're used to from Pratchett - it focuses pretty much entirely on Vimes for one, with other characters briefly mentioned almost as a side note. If you like the Discworld novels it's worth a read, you'll enjoy it, but don't expect to love it. Oh, and two gotcha's...
- Make sure you've read Thud! first, else you won't understand the Summoning Dark parts
- The kindle version makes it difficult to read the * annotations, which are often the funniest bits!
on 23 August 2017
I started the book laughing and ended the book laughing but in between there was a lot of serious thought-provoking stuff. Serious, I mean. Sir Terry is one very missed author. I discovered his work after he died and now I nearly cry at his absence in this world. His work is as good as those authors, if not better, that he sometimes parodies or stealthily references. 'Snuff' is a master example of his work which I just could not put down. Simply wonderful and I hope I get to read it again.
on 17 July 2015
I love all of the late Sir Terry Pratchett's books so this review is going to be entirely favourable. Full off magnificent satire, Terry used goblins to represent the social lowest of the low in Discworld's society. This is slightly darker than usual but necessarily so as this is a story about murderous prejudice and the goblin equivalent of human trafficking and slavery but also about the beauty every form of life has to offer when properly understood and appreciated. Fabulous book - highly recommend
on 10 November 2011
Terry Pratchett new release "Snuff" is about Samual Vimes and his family while on a holiday in the countryside. Vimes is struggling to come to terms with the countryside, but soon finds his element as he encounters a murder scene. The poor Goblins want Just...Ice and there is only one police man that can deliver it! He soon finds himself on a roller coaster ride of trying to balance his family holiday and Poop collecting son with trying to solve a murder against creatures (goblins) that are treated as vermin, but that does not stop Sam Vimes. The entire book is crammed with wonderful and funny moments given that hes investigating a murder. Yet, it has other moments where the reader can feel empathy and sorrow for the fate of the poor misunderstood Goblin race.
It took me two weeks to finish this book as I kept re-reading the funny bits and making highlights (sooo many!) For any reader this is a book to be put on your top ten read list this year, you will NOT be disappointed! Worth every penny! Its just a shame that Mr Pratchett does not get the attention he so much deserves, his writing is above and well exceeds the par.
on 31 March 2013
Yet again ..Sam Vimes at his best.!!! One of my favourite Discworld characters.

.No matter how elevated his social position becomes , he remains at heart , ever the crafty ,astute copper..with a carefully concealed heart of gold , full of a fiery defense of the under dog { or in this case.. the under goblin !! } his view of the rules of law so elastically bendable that his reasoning would confuse a courtroom full of legal wizards into compliance !!

Long may he & his delightful family reign....a welcome addition to my Terry Pratchett collection of escapism , also at it's best ,
Even in my 70's.. I remain an eternally enthusiastic Pratchett fan !!
Thankyou .. yet again.,Sir Terry..,Blackboard Monitor Supreme !!

Mary Smith
on 13 November 2012
My favourite Discworld book is Nightwatch, and this shares many similar aspects. There's an undercurrent of social-political thinking and expansion of the discworld universe. Vimes finds himself out of his comfort zone, this time in the countryside. I didn't feel the book was quite as well edited as Nightwatch; it drifts a little at times. Sybil (Vimes' wife) features in this book more heavily than previous books, and we are provided further insights into her character. Young Sam's character is also developing in a fun way.
As others have said, this isn't Pratchett at his best-the dialogue, particularly the humour, is not as elegantly and effectively delivered as in previous books.
At the paperback price this is good stuff, and a must-get for Discworld fans.
on 4 July 2013
Been here since book one, many many years ago. I like Vimes. I'd prefer another Granny Weatherwax, or Rincewind (if your reading Sir PT!) but as a whole the Dirty Harry meets the wire meets Downton with swords thing works well in this one. Vimes is on character from the first page. The plot rattles along nicely and if the twists and turns are predictable to an old hand like me they are fun enough to keep the pages turning. If there is a grain of discomfort in the book it's the deus ex machina of Willikins, a cross between a ninja an assassin and the terminator. Give him a flaw please pTerry. Oh and while we're publishing a wish list - how about resolving the Angua/Carrot relationship?