Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 June 2012
This comment will pretty much apply to all Pratchett an an e-book format although specifically I bought the Kindle edition to read on my HTC Android phone. Basically one of the things I have always enjoyed about Pratchett is the use of footnotes in order to introduce a sense of comic timing and to allow you to enjoy asides and tangents without getting distracted from the main story. Unfortunately because this Kindle edition puts all the footnotes as hyperlinks to the very end of the book you constantly have to bookmark and press the link to get to them and then use the 'goto' function to find your original place. This is quite laborious and ruins the flow of the story as instead of a few seconds to see the comic aside suddenly its more like a minute of faffing. I enjoyed Snuff despite this but suspect it would have been a whole lot better as a paperback or hardback. I've spoken to a friend with a Sony e-reader where for some reason his version of Pratchett put the footnotes into the middle of the main text which is equally annoying.
on 21 May 2017
Another excellent Sam Vimes tale, fuelled by anger, indignation and bacon sandwiches (or so he wishes-too much L & T not enough B) he sets about chasing down wrongdoers. Great fun, good to see more of Vimes & Lady Sybil.
Stephen Briggs is as always perfect for the audio version-thoroughly good read or listen!
on 20 March 2015
What more can I say! The Watch and Sam Vimes at his very best. He has been reluctantly made to go on holiday by his wife, the Lady Sybil. What was meant to be a relaxing time turned out to be anything but, as Commander Vimes couldn't help but become involved in a bit of 'policing'.
on 12 January 2014
Not up to Terry's usual standard. I found it an effort to get to the end. That said, it has its moments, but more like someone else trying to create a Pritchett book by cutting and pasting from his other books.
on 9 July 2012
i love terry pratchett's books i own all the novels he has written but snuff is the most difficult to read
if i had never read any of his books before i would have given up after the 1st 50 pages it seemed to me the story was going nowhere and lacked any sort of narrative direction in fact it was boring to be honest which is a shame cos pratchett is normally an engaging inventive writer
however having said that once i got over the one hundred page mark i found the story picked up pace and my interest and was gripped right to the end
this book is a hard long slog but worth sticking with
on 8 January 2013
Yet another excellent addition to the "Vimes/guards" strand of the discworld series. This one sees Mr and Mrs Vimes head out to the country house they own, for a supposed holiday. As you would expect, with Sam Vimes around not everything goes to plan. Plenty of sleuthing and action, goblin rights issues and a touch of "Midsummer Murders" make this one of TP's best offerings yet in my opinion.
on 22 July 2017
I believe that this is the final book in the City Watch series. My delight at reading it again is tinged with sadness that there will be no sequel.
on 11 September 2012
I'm a long term Pratchett fan but must admit I didn't enjoy Unseen Academicals as much as the rest. The first time I read Snuff I wasn't sure I liked it (but I was in hospital at the time). However, having reread it, I think that though it is not a classic Pratchett, it's still worth every one of five stars for its humour, humanity and for having Sam Vimes in it!
on 1 March 2017
I can't say enough about what a great read this has been it will be reread many times. Sir Terry Pratchett may be the best author in many years
on 19 July 2017
always a pleasure to read Terry Pratchett this is no exception