Customer reviews

The Accidental Adventurer
Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 September 2011
This is a lovely collection of anecdotal stories - a kind of memoir with a difference. Ben's had a pretty amazing life and he tells a very good story. The Accidental Adventurer is easy to read and his tales inspired, amused and moved me. Ben's writing seems to improve with each book he publishes and this is no exception. I've been a fan of his TV career and thought I'd know most of the stories, but there are great accounts of hilarious travel experiences, and feats of endurance that weren't recorded on TV. A brilliant read, I can't recommend it highly enough.
0Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 November 2017
An enjoyable read with nuggets of inspiration throughout!
on 2 October 2017
Really enjoyed this book
What a guy!
on 13 August 2017
EXCELLENT - THANKS :-)
on 8 September 2017
Classy & interesting, Ben admits he stumbled upon his real life & ultimately a career but not he's not brilliant at anything (his words) so this book could be me,you,Tom,Dick or Harry which makes it a great read IMO
on 12 August 2017
Great read
on 3 December 2017
it was not in as good condition as I thought it would be
on 27 May 2017
I brought this book for my husband .Very interesting and funny in places . I know this because he keeps on reading bits out to me.
on 4 August 2017
A very enjoyable & interesting read so far. It's a fitting title for the book, as he is not as I had expected him to be. Surprising & inspiring!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 10 October 2011
I can just about remember Ben when he first came onto our screens on the BBC's CASTAWAY programme, over a decade ago. His down to earth style attracted me, and since then I have tended to follow his career. I loved the series, EXTREME DREAMS, and enjoyed seeing him race to the Pole with James Cracknell and Ed Coats. So, when I saw that he had brought out THE ACCIDENTAL ADVENTURER, I jumped on it.

Biographies can be either very good, or very bad. And, even if the person you are reading about was a favourite to begin with, an autobiography which is written with honesty can sometimes sully your perception of that person. Happily, I can say that now I have finished Ben's book, I still see him in the same light as I did before I began the book.

The premise behind this autobiography is for Ben to explain how he went from being an awkward, geeky, shy young man into a seemingly confident, adventure loving thrill seeker. But, most importantly, how he came to this accidentally. He does this with humour, humility and compassion and an openness which reveals that he really is as down to earth as he comes across on his shows.
I really enjoyed this book. The ending seemed to suggest that there may be a follow-up, looking at how he became an accidental naturalist - I really hope this is the case, as that should also be an interesting read.

Would recommend this to anyone who loves Ben. Am really looking forward to seeing him this Saturday at Cheltenham now!