Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 March 2017
I am a big fan of Michael Cordy, expect the unexpected with his stories.
on 11 June 2017
Very entertaining thriller
on 12 August 2011
I'd never read any work by Michael Cordy before this but the premise of the story sounded fascinating, featuring an unknown woman who seems to be able to sense evil and past crimes, despite having no idea about her own identity or her past life. With a few brutal murders and a 'troubled' psychiatrist thrown in, the story seemed to have the potential to be an unusual and exciting read.

Thankfully, the story didn't disappoint me in any way. I found myself flying through what is quite a thick book, desperate to uncover the truth about the identity of the woman christened 'Jane Doe' by the authorities and the story behind her 'Sixth Sense', here with rather a sinister, slightly morbid twist. The book overall benefits from an unusual plot and strong, likeable characters. I was uncertain where these strange powers might ultimately take the story but quickly became engrossed in the story and the burgeoning relationship between the two main characters.

I'm not a lover of fantasy fiction as a genre, so I was pleased that this doesn't stray away from being a strong thriller, and I was not distracted by the supernatural aspects. The author underpins the story with a robust scientific explanation for Jane's abilities and experiences, helping to keep the storyline entirely plausible and credible. Fortunately, the science isn't overwhelming or distracting from the plot and is totally accessible and even I, as an uninformed layperson, was able to grasp the concepts without being baffled by any unnecessary details or jargon.

This is a story that I thoroughly enjoyed and one that I would recommend to anybody who enjoys a suspense-filled thriller, with an unusual angle.
on 11 August 2011
"I'm part of the Transworld Book Group!" and have been invited to review this book.

I found it most entertaining and an excellent, exciting read.
It starts off as a more or less conventional thriller, set in Portland, Oregon. An unknown girl rescues several other girls from Russian white slave traders and is hailed a heroine, but there the mystery starts. She has lost her memory, is unable even to tell the police how she knew the girls were being held in the house she broke into. Given into the care of a half-English psychiatrist, Nathan Fox, he bonds with her and discovers she has the gift of multi-synaesthesia; she not only sees peoples' auras and sees numbers and letters as colours, but is able to tell if people have died violently in a room, even if it happened years ago. They call her Jane Doe, until her father, a cult leader, appears and claims her, calling her Sorcha, and she gradually discovers many sinister facts about her previous life, upbringing and relatives.
Worried about her, Nathan follows her to the cult's headquarters and is drawn into the explosive finale of the novel, where both their lives are at risk.
Very well told and highly readable, this book is hard to put down. I believed in the main characters and cared about them and the cult is believable at the time of reading (even if multi-synaesthesia at this level is a little over the top) and the deluded villain is truly hissable.
The end holds a question mark, and I hope the author may be inclined to take the adventures of Nathan and Jane/Sorcha into another book.
on 8 August 2011
Why oh why does Michael Cordy not get the recognition and plaudits he truly deserves, as one of the best thriller writers the UK has ever produced?

As a Michael Cordy fan, this is the sort of adrenalin and heart pumping novel that I have come to expect from a man who clearly and meticulously researches whatever science or history underpins and drives his novels and then builds his superb story around these taking the reader on a rollercoaster ride along the way.

This time he has chosen the neurologically based condition `Synesthesia' as a theme within the novel, but as one would expect from Michael Cordy the condition comes with a few extra flavours twists and turns which the central characters in the novel possess in some form or another, albeit with differing abilities.

For example, as well as colour Synesthesia, there is the ability to feel another's physical pain, the ability to touch walls and experience `death echoes' - the imprints or memories left by souls who exited this world by violent means. Who says walls only have ears?

I love all of his novels, but this (in my humble opinion) is possibly his best work since Lucifer (and that's not to discredit `True' and `The Source', which were excellent novels. This is yet again another of his novels which leaves the reader scratching his or her head and wondering `what if'?

I got so caught up in the novel that I was actually quite emotional come the very last chapter, which looks back at a major event in the novel through different eyes, alas mine were stinging!

If you haven't yet experienced a Michael Cordy novel to date - this is a great place to start. You will not be disappointed!
on 19 August 2011
I am part of the Transworld Book Group

Crime novels and thrillers are not my usual cup of tea but I will certainly look out for the other books by Michael Cordy as I absolutely loved The Colour of Death.

Starting with a mysterious girl sensing devil's work going on behind closed doors, breaking in and saving numerous girls from a Russian sex trafficking gang, the girl, named Jane Doe by the authorities, ends up in the care of a psychiatrist Nathan Fox.

Jane chooses Nathan to look after her as he is the right colour! Whilst finding out that Jane has a very rare form of synaesthesia and helping her to cope with it, things get out of hand in the Old Town part of Portland, Oregon. A killer is on the loose leaving a carnage behind him and somehow linking Jane to the crime scenes.

Jane's father than appears to claim her as his daughter Sorcha. He is a leader of a cult called the Indigo Family and Sorcha chooses to go back with him so she can find out about her past. Nathan though senses that some things don't add up and seeks more information about the cult and than believing that Sorcha is still in danger from the killer decides to find the cult and warn her.

Of course by than Sorcha realizes that not everything is so perfect in the big happy Indigo Family and things go from bad to worse.

This is a great story, full of twists and big characters. This would make a great movie!
on 28 September 2011
I was sent this book as I'm part of the Transworld book group, when I was selecting the books I would read as part of this group I decided to pick a favourite author, 1 from each of my favourite genres and the last would be something new to me but which appealed in some way and this is that book.

The heroine, Jane Doe presents with not just one form but ALL forms of synaesthesia and even one that has not previously been documented. As we travel with Jane in her journey of discovery it's easy to understand just how terrifying the world around us could be should we suddenly loose our self in the way she has. We see Fox struggle to deal with his own personal demons which re-surface from this case as well as his inability to let anyone close to him again while also trying to keep what little family he has left safe. And then on top of all this is the horrific fact that there is a killer in the city who seems to be fixated on Jane.

I really don't want to give anything away from this book at all, I found it to be an amazing story and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story moved along at a good pace, there were lots of details to make it easy to follow along from scene to scene and to understand the characters and their motivations. The writing flows so well that I am going to look at getting some more books by this author very soon.
on 17 August 2011
Once you've picked it up, you won't put it down till the very last page is read. It is a spellbinding and thrilling story weaved around a number of complex but interesting themes, so well researched that you can almost feel them yourself.
The various themes are all individually strong but pulled together in such a way as to make exciting reading.
I'm glad I picked it up.
on 22 October 2011
I was really engrossed in this book at the start as we first meet Nathan Fox as a young boy when his mother, father and young sister are brutally murdered during a gas station robbery ...... but Nathan can't remember anything about the traumatic incident or why his life was spared.

The story then moves 19 years to the present day as Nathan is now a psychiatrist helping people though he can't help himself with his loss of memory. He is detached and has learned to distance himself from pain and loss.

He is then entrusted to a young woman who has total memory loss and, because Nathan is the right colour of indigo, she trusts him and no-one else. I found this side of the story very intriguing as both the woman and Nathan shared a special kind of sense.....Nathan could feel someone else's pain and Jane Doe had other senses as well, which are slowly revealed and which could be the reason for her memory loss.

The story becomes even more intriguing when a series of murders occurs and Jane's picture is found with the victims and she is persuaded to use her other senses to help identify the killer .....the police are sceptical...... but Nathan believes in her.

I liked Nathan and so did Jane who thought he was a hard man to get to know well even if you were a friend, though she doesn't find him aloof or cold, he was too compassionate. I liked their developing relationship, it seemed real and natural.

Up to this point in the book I was getting involved with the characters and enjoying the storyline but when it moved on to a cult who lived deep in the woods and who's charismatic leader has three beautiful devoted wives I'm afraid my interest started to wane a little.

It was still quite gripping but it wasn't the same book for me and I found myself not rushing to finish it to find out what was going to happen.
on 30 September 2011
As I am part of the Transworld book group I was sent this book to review and throughly enjoyed it.

At the moment I seem to be more into murder mystery stories than chick flick literature and so was really looking forward to reviewing this book as it sounded right up my street. I wasn't disappointed and was hooked on the story from the start. The book starts off with a young lady rescuing a lot of Russian ladies from a bad situation which just starts you off with being intrigued from the very beginning in wanting to know what and how the Russian girls got in to this situation and how the lady came about rescuing them. From then on in the lady is named as Jane Doe as she has no memory as to how and why she has rescued these girls. As you begin to learn more about Jane Doe and her story, she becomes even more intriging and you want to know how and why she has forgotten who she is and Dr Fox is introduced in helping her find out as her phychiatrist. The two of them then go on a journey to rediscover who Jane Doe really is, whilst murders are taking place in the same town Jane Doe's story of her past becomes even more interesting and are the murders related to her history.

All in all this is a really good read and I would throughly recommend it to all my friends and family and will definately be reading more from Michael Cordy in the future.