Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 July 2004
This is Kernick's third book, and he is back on familar territory. The dark and murky (more on that later) side of the London crime scene. Having read his first two books, I had been looking forward to the publication of The Crime Trade perhaps a little too much. Despite the anticipation, I have to say, that Kernick has come up with another winner.
Stegs Jenner's wife gives him a hard time. His superiors in the Police do as well, but he takes these knocks and comes back fighting. Of course he needs a bit of help from the odd drink, and occasional recreational narcotic, but this all adds to the realism. Sherlock Holmes is a long time dead !
In one section, I was laughing out loud on the Tube, before 7am, at the poor sod's predicament, such is Kernick's ability with dark humour and characterisation.
Some of Kernick's others characters are superb. The aptly named 'grass' Trevor Murk, will sicken you. The menacing "Strangleman" Grant, will make you look behind you even more on a dark night. These and more add to what is a highly recommmended dip ino the dark side of London's crime trade. With some excellent twists, and a carefully constructed story, this is one of the best books I have read this year. Highly recommended.
Having started with `Relentless' I am now working my way back through the Kernick back catalogue. Chose The Crime Trade (& The Business of Dying, see separate review) for a 2 week vacation in Florida and easily finished both books as once again I was hooked by an intriguing plot and exciting style of writing. The Crime Trade provides another `3d' experience as you see the developing plot through the eyes of good guy cop DI Gallan and anti hero Stegs Jenner. Some really good twists and turns as ever and thankfully events do not develop by any `by the numbers formula', challenging the reader's emotions by the end as to who's side to actually take and cheer for.
on 7 April 2015
I have read most of Simon Kernick's books. I love the Tina Boyd character. Her relationship with her work colleague is well spun out. This was another great book that got read in no more that 3 short sittings. On to the next one.
on 16 August 2016
Having been addicted to 'Relentless' I thought I'd give another of his books ago and was unfortunately quite disappointed. The characters were hard to keep a track of and I felt the story line jumped about a bit.
on 11 December 2015
While enjoyed the book the writing style and pace was not as smooth or as fast paced as the Seige. This likeminded me why I don't read UK police drama books. A good read if a little tedious, not sure vibrant to read the next in the series?
on 28 July 2014
I can honestly say that I am now addicted to every book Simon Kernick has wrote. I started off the wrong way and read his latest book but I've had to backtrack right to book one. Fantastic and clever writing with bits of humour here and there which really make the book better. For a thrilling and intelligent read I recommend to all. I also love the fact that nearly all the books follow on to the next one.
on 20 January 2015
I thought I would start at the beginning with this author as I have read other books by him and loved them, this is ok but not the best read I have ever had but I will be moving onto book number 2 when I finnished this
on 22 November 2013
It is of no surprise to find as in his earlier installments that "The Crime trade" centers around the ganglands of north London where the good guys tend to mix quite well with the bad ones. It is a dark place with dramatic effects---shot outs in parking lots, police confrontations with drug smugglers, some elements of abuse and torture. But to say this crime thriller is depressing would be false on the contrary it has some underlying humour to it and sizzling dialogue that propels us through the twisted tales. By the end, one can fell as entertained as well as unnerved.

This story is unpredictable in every sense fresh twists and plenty of them kept derailing thoughts, so easy not to see them coming. It shows us what genuinely goes on under our nose with odd exaggeration here and there. However I did find this one not as lively and exciting as the other books and it is so easy to get lost in the description and the back stories.

Although this is not part of a series the tale involves interconnecting characters who weaves in and out of each books. They are part of a strong cast of familiar and new faces and the tight plot also includes a large group of secondary players.

"The Crime Trade" is a good read but is not my favourite in Mr. Kernick's library.
on 12 April 2013
arrived on time, a fantastic read from a fantastic writer. There is none better, All Simon Kernick books are thrilling, exciting with the most incredible plots. Thank you Simon Kernick for being the amazing writer you are.
on 5 April 2016
A good story and once I'd sorted out the DI being written in the first person but Stegs always written in the third person, I enjoyed it. I'm definitely going to purchase the second book in the series..