Customer reviews

4,672
Before I Go To Sleep
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 November 2012
What I simply cannot understand - apart from the actual book - is how it ever garnered all these enthusiastic reviews and in such a short space of time from such a global list of sources. Something smells here as SJ Watson remains mostly unknown for what purports to be a bestseller. Has some massive PR campaign been waged? The book is little more than a dry and dreary case history of a woman who has lost her memory. Where are the thrills, excitement and mystery we have been promised? The author fabricates situations to ensure some degree of authenticity about the woman's predicament but so many fail to ring true. The writing is pedestrian and monotonous. The plot is thin beyond the basic premise of the story. Indeed, what plot?
I have struggled to reach the halfway point, getting to this stage simply because I want to discover what is supposedly so good about it. But I refuse to go any further. I can't go on. I've gone to sleep. As a thriller writer, SJ Watson simply doesn't rate and (check his website) his success must surely be a fabrication and a figment of his own imagination.
on 27 January 2012
I bought this book purely on the basis that its number 1 in the book charts at the moment and has been surrounded by a huge amount of hype recently. I won't relay the plot as many already have covered this ground.

My view on the plot is that it is very well constructed. Its great to see new authors coming through with original ideas, and at the same time execute them well. The story unfolds like peeling away the layers of an onion, and this is what kept me turning the pages.

However, whilst the plot was original, I did find it slightly implausible (that's probably why they call it fiction!!), and I did feel as though the ending of the book had been somewhat rushed. Given the richness of detail we are presented with throughout the majority of the story through Christine's first person narrative, I wanted something a little more detailed somehow - more descriptive - more in keeping with what had built up to the moment of realisation. I felt a little unsatisfied when I reached the last page.

Nevertheless, a good holiday read for anyone looking for something a little different.
on 23 July 2015
Absolutely fantastic! page turner from start to finish, everytime I thought 'ah I know who it is' it ALL changes!
on 24 September 2014
Kept me gripped right to the end. Good story line, fell in love with the character's. All is not as it should be.
on 15 September 2014
I really didn't think I would like this book...wrong, I loved it, I recommend that you read it, thought provoking
on 13 December 2013
good book with a twist near the end. a story that could happen. i struggled to put this book down. happy reading.
on 11 December 2013
A great read delivered to my kindle. I would recommend this author to anyone who likes a spellbinding book. Great
on 13 October 2013
A good thriller that I could not put down once I had started. Would highly recommend reading this fantastic book.
on 1 June 2013
Very good mystery in the first person style. Greatly enjoyed as it is no doubt influenced by nolan's film memento
on 11 April 2013
A brilliant read, one of the best. It was unusual and thrilling at every turn of the page. Couldn't put it down.