Customer reviews

The Long Earth: (Long Earth 1)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 November 2012
I read Terry Pratchett's first book "The Dark Side of the Sun" and became an instant fan of the Disc-world I have since read every book he has written. Primarily I am a Sci-Fi fan and have read many of Stephen Baxter's books. My favorite being Titan. This collaboration is brilliant and I hope it's the first of many more to come.
on 31 December 2013
I loved this book; it's Matrix-like quality of questioning our thoughts of reality and "norms".
The build-up was excellent, though the end was inconclusive, and left me hanging.
I suspect that was the intention, to provoke thought and discussion, however I was hoping for something more conclusive.
on 8 January 2014
I found this a surprisingly moving story. It offers a lesson without ever being "preachy". The characters are sympathetic and interesting and I never lost patience with them. It's a bit of a new departure for TP but then I'm biased, I love TP's writing and would probably enjoy reading his shopping lists!
on 26 July 2013
I bought this book from a recommendation by Amazon. I'm a big science fiction/fantasy fan but must confess that I hadn't read any previous offerings by either author.

The book is brilliant. It's fast paced, hilariously obscure at points and overall thoroughly enjoyable.

Highly recommend it.
on 16 March 2013
although i had never heard of stephen baxter and am not a sci fi fan i had to have this latest terry pratchett out of curiosity as i am a huge fan. i loved it. i was surprised at how well it held my interest and as my 'in the bath' book of the moment i stayed in far too long on several occasions. great read.
on 26 December 2013
Has a few flaws but trust me, you're willing to look past them all for the beautifully imagined sequence of worlds which both excites you and scares you in its magnitude. The book however isn't that long and it only took me a couple of days to munch through it. I'm looking forward to the next instalment.
on 26 July 2015
Long winded & boring, yet there are already 3 more books. Why !!! - generally agree with all the other negative reviews.

Struggled through it because its a Pratchett book but no humor and very tedious.

Will still try and read the others but will only buy when they are (very) cheap
on 19 July 2016
Tedious, starts out with an interesting story, then hours and hours of description of would be earths. It really is dreary and I fear gets such good reviews out of respect for the memory of Mr. Pratchett.

Remember, this is several hours of your life you will never get back.

PRO
on 18 June 2014
I was really looking forward to these cd's but I am just starting the third disc and so far have not been able to get into it. I shall persevere but I do not think I will be buying the other cd's that follow. There are too many different characters and a convoluted plot which jumps about too much.
on 6 March 2015