Customer reviews

The Man Who Cycled the Americas
Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 August 2011
Mark gets a little more involved in his surroundings on this trip and it shows in his prose, though its still his own indeminable style similar to The Man Who Cycled The World. There's something addictive in reading journey travelogues, especially when a tv series helps give a fuller picture of the author's experience.
on 6 January 2014
This book is a great account of Mark's adventures in mountain climbing and cycling through the Americas.

It is an honest and entertaining read from someone who is an inspiration.

As a cyclist myself, I was surprised to enjoy the mountain climbing chapters the most.
on 5 August 2016
An incredible journey but the writing is a bit dry, lacking humour. From time to time the story line jumps that you think you skipped a page. The most interesting I find of long distance cycling is the interaction with the people you meet. This book is lacking that interaction a bit.
on 25 January 2012
After such great reviews, I was disappointed. I concur with the praise for the description of the mountain climbs. These were definitely the best bits. However, I was very sad that Mark completely deviated from his original plan of following the mountain chain down through the Americas. There is very little of the Andes, simply because he mostly followed the coast. No wonder Peru was not as expected! The desert is just on the coast. Not far inland is magical mountain scenery. So much abandoned either because of safety issues - Colombia, Honduras, half of Ecuador, - or lack of time so no Bolivia, just straight down the coast! No wonder the scenery was boring. "Unsupported" is far from the truth, with trucks, minders, Mum arranging transport of spare parts etc. If you want to read a really unsupported cycle ride, read Alastair Humphreys. . . .So I finished it but I feel cheated!
on 28 December 2011
I purchased this book from amazon after seeing it in a local shop(amazon much cheaper)
I couldn't put it down and completed it in 2 weeks. I felt part of the journey and the mountain experience i was there. This is certainly a tale of a epic journey.
on 8 August 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed Mark's first book, but was frustrated with the apparent lack of personal emotion at times. So I was very pleased when reading this second book that there was a lot more of Mark the man, rather than just Mark the adventurer. I LOVED the climbs, they were probably my favourite bits, but the in betweens were interesting and gripping. I read it very quickly because despite having followed as he went and seen the documentary I was still keen to see what happened next. His writing style has matured and improved although I found some of the sections quite severely edited; I found myself wanting to know more about a topic that had only one paragraph dedicated to it. Having said that, it was gripping, laugh out loud funny and poignant. I have already recommended it to friends as one of my top reads of the year and would do so again.
on 24 January 2017
I loved the documentary series, but the book... Well, not so much. One third of it is about his struggles to find signal for his radio reports and lacks descriptions about the people and landscapes he was travelling.
on 28 December 2014
A fantastic follow up to his first book. I think I enjoyed the world cycle best as there was so much time devoted to the mountain climbs. However a fantastic adventure story. Well done.
on 14 February 2013
Loved the first adventure.

This just follows nicely with the added bonus of the climbing thrown in.

A relaxed writing style that I really enjoy.
on 9 November 2013
Easy to read, a great diary. Mark gives a super account of his inspiring ride. Makes me want to do more than my weekly 50m ride.