VINE VOICEon 4 November 2007
I'm generally a great fan of Terry Pratchett's but think the last three (adult) Discworld novels have been increasingly disappointing, with this perhaps the weakest in the whole series. Maybe he should give Discworld a rest for a while? The mediocrity of Making Money was really brought home to me when I reread Lords and Ladies recently - it was so much sharper, richer and cleverer than his recent efforts. The characters in Making Money are comparatively bland and sketchy, the plotting tortuous, and the humour (one or two good moments aside) very tired indeed.
on 20 October 2007
...why have you started writing in chapters? Where is the fire and sparkle? Where have my beloved Witches gone?
on 1 March 2017
As I said another clever idea that moves the story of Moist Von Lipwig's story on with large amounts of humour.
on 4 June 2013
As always a pleasure to sit with one of Terry's books and drift into his world. These books never disappoint.
on 25 March 2013
Any Discworld Fan will NOT MISS THIS! Musat Read to all Fans Of the Master of Story Plot Comedy and Talent!
on 7 October 2007
I'm a big fan of Pratchett and have been for a long time, and I have to wonder if this book was written by somebody else.

It had remarkably few of the hallmarks of a Pratchett book - not very funny, hardly any fantasy, and (as another reviewer has said) very easy to put down - in fact, it was a bit of an effort to pick up again. Slow plot (what there was of it), muddled and confusing, and generally not very satisfying. Not one I will be reading again I think - which is a shame, because Going Postal was really quite good. (Please don't let there be a third book about the tax system...)

It was slow, and I kept waiting for something exciting to happen, but it never really appeared. The only vaguely interesting bit was about the stygium ring.

So why did I plow through it? (It was such an effort!)
Because I am a fan. This book could have been worse still and I still would have read it.
But...
His books in future are going to have to be better than this to keep me a fan. More magic! More Vimes! More WITCHES! Why trot out this dull piece of work when everyone is gagging to read about Tiffany?!

I wouldn't recommend this book. If you're looking to get introduced into smart, funny, entertaining fantasy, pick up some of his older work.
22 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 November 2014
A very contemporary story, given the banking crisis and general economic malaise in the 'round' world.
on 3 January 2012
My fiance is really enjoying this book so far, he is a big Terry Pratchett fan and rates this highly.
on 22 November 2013
I don't know why some folk slag this off and say bad things about it. I really enjoyed it. So there.
on 3 March 2016
It's Terry Pratchett. What more do you need? But buy Going Postal first because this follows that.