The Man Who Cycled The World
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 November 2017
And not content with doing this one, he has now smashed all records by doing it in under 80 days.

An interesting travelogue of his first solo journey around the world, this is peppered with incidents, observations and cultural education as he cycles against the elements (and strange forms of officialdom).

This is an enjoyable read, with, for me, the most interesting element being the Middle East and Asian sections. It is stuffed with odd characters and customs he meets along the way and you are never far from the family connections and team work which made it all possible.

Fascinating stuff.
on 14 May 2015
What a bore. I cycled xx km's today I ate this and this and I have saddle sores. Insert small minded anecdote every now and then. Boring boring boring, and I love anything to do with cycling, hard to bore me on the subject but Mr. Beaumont manages it. Amazing feat, just a boring read
5 people found this helpful
on 6 December 2009
I cycled 900 miles across France in 2004 so have some idea of long distancing cycling...but my trip did not compare in the least with Mark's remarkable trip. I am now halfway through the book and I feel like I am there - Mark's writing style is excellent. I have found his description of his sleeping especially interesting as he switches between his tent, rough and smart hotels.
I watched him on the TV and enjoyed each programme. What comes across in the book is how much help he had from numerous people and how it was all co-ordinated by his mum.
I have a dream to cycle 6,000 miles around the 29 EU capitals - his book has given me more of a push to get the trip organised.
I would highly recommend that anyone keen on adventure books should buy this book - Mark had to overcome so many obstacles and just kept on going, eager to achieve his goal.
on 15 May 2018
I really enjoyed this book. Being a cyclist myself it's great to relax in bed and read about Mark's journey around the world and his many adventures. Thoroughly recommended read.
on 27 September 2010
I was reading this from the point of view of someone interested in cycling and a month after finishing my own mini challenge in the form of Lands End to John O'Groats... some of the other reviewers are right... you're not going to get lengthy descriptions of local customs, architecture and in depth accounts of romance on the way. What you do get is a great insight into the aspiration, state of mind and experiences of someone on a unique adventure that required guts and determination - in these days of package holidays and if you're not careful, packaged life, I found it inspiring stuff !!
2 people found this helpful
on 15 December 2012
As a a life long sporting cyclist of nearly 50 years I intend to ride around the UK when I retire and then ride around France and Italy and take in the major tours. So, I purchased this book, having watched the documentary on the TV, as I was hoping to get some extra tips on how to cover 100 miles a day every day on a low budget. I have not been disappointed and recommend this book to any one who has a sense of adventure and a love of cycling. Would have liked more info on how Mark funded the ride but as I have not got to the end yet it may be in the last chapter!

I will not be cycling through Pakistan or India though. His description of the poverty and the food has put me off for life. I will stick to central Europe for my long distance cycle touring.
A great ride Mark I salute you.
One person found this helpful
on 18 August 2017
Another very interesting account from Mark. You feel part of the journey? I couldn't quite understand why he left Esperance without getting the cream he desperately needed but then, what do I know!
on 9 July 2012
I had read previous reviews and one was about how Mark Beaumont wasted his time and missed the chance to really experience cultures and travel properly because of his focus on achieving the world record. This reviewer missed the point entirely, and I suspect if I or Mark himself explained the reasons why he didn't stop and absorb the culture and countries more, he/she wouldn't understand anyway.

This, to me, was all about the challenge and pushing himself to see just how far he could go. Some people can do this, some people can only understand this, and most people can't do either. I suspect that his main goal was to set up a life and a career doing something that he loved and not pencil-pushing at a desk all day. Cycling the world got him on his way to this and he describes his journey through the challenge, and before the challenge with some intriguing background into his reasons for doing it, with great honesty and providing insight into the world of an extreme endurance athlete.

The book inspired a friend of mine to cycle from China back to England after being an English teacher in Korea and is currently motivating me to seek out my own adventures and push my own boundaries. I have great admiration for a man who bit the bullet and reached out and grabbed life with both hands and is not letting go.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 July 2017
I enjoyed it a lot and am currently following him in his round the world in 80 days attempt.
One person found this helpful
on 27 January 2016
As an armchair circumnavigator, usually by boat, I continue to be amazed at what a human can put up with. To break a world record by two months is a great achievement, but to find the positives in terrible conditions and weather is heart warming to read. Gripping story, looking forward to the Americas.