Format: Paperback|Change

James Holland, part of a new breed of WW2 writer, who are taking the genre back to the glory days of the 1970s, when the likes of Leo Kessler, Will Berthold and Sven Hassel were in vogue, is a very consistent writer, his flair with the 'pen' honed over years of writing factual books. This latest edition of the Jack Tanner series, sees our hero in full-blown heroic mode, as he schemes and fights his way to victory. As someone who grew up on a diet of Warlord and Battle comics, I find Mr Holland's writing to be in the same vein, a world where Jerries, spandaus and Schmeissers crop up with some regularity - a world I have dipped into for my new book as well: The Armageddon Pact. As ever, the attention to historical accuracy is second to none, and I find that aspect of these novels the main reason I keep coming back for more. I would hazard a guess and state that ninety five per cent of people buying these books are in the 40-55 age bracket - not that that is anything to be ashamed of. The only question I have, for the author, is how on earth does he find the time to write all of these books - be they factual or fictional. I take my hat off to him!
on 30 July 2013
The US and their deal with the Mafia during WW2 provides the background to this latest Tanner tale. THere are the usual obligatory Sharpe elements to the story but it is a good yarn. Tanner's ability is increasingly being recognised and he ends up as acting CO [not OC as per the author]. I look forward to Tanner and 'D' Day.
on 18 February 2015
First time on Kindle. Got paperbacks for the previous ones but book shelf is short on space so Kindle is the new bookshelf. Great book, not as good as the previous ones as it was a bit slow but as usual a good read. Waiting for the next installment which I assume will be Normandy.
on 23 July 2013
James Holland has once again written a fantastic story. He is an extremely skilled Historian, story-teller & broadcaster with a rare ability to engage with the public & keep the subject matter alive & engaging.
I pre-ordered this title over a year ago before eventually receiving it on 19th July & I started reading it that evening until I finished 48hrs later. The story is set during the Allied invasion of Sicily in 1943, its very accurate about the Italian campaign itself & though the novel is a work of fiction it remains very faithful to the events of that time, whilst weaving the novel narrative into the historic events.
I have visited Sicily, my wife is from there & Mr Holland has captured the mood & charm of the island as well as the ways & idiosyncracies of its local people, who are unlike other italian communities on the mainland. Jack Tanner is a brilliant protagonist & could quite easily be transitioned to either the cinema or the TV screen in the way that the Sharpe novels also made that leap
I am a huge fan of both the writer's fiction & non-fiction books & I think I now own them all. I would recommend that any fans of this book also read "Italy's Sorrow" which is Mr Holland's historic opus on the allied invasion of Italy & its aftermath on the Italian people. I would also recommend his "Battle of Britain" & "Dambusters" non-fiction as well.
In fact as I can't wait for the next Jack Tanner novel in the series I will probably start them all again from the beginning, before going back to the historical non-fiction works.
Buy this book or buy the whole Jack Tanner series from the beginning, if you haven't already - You will not be disappointed!
on 20 January 2015
As always an excellent story of the fictitious Jack Tanner and his side kick Stan.... I always look forward to the latest installment... will someone please make these into a TV series like they did with Sharp!
on 2 June 2014
I have read all of the. Tanner series and this is a good addition to the genre. Very much the Sharpe of ww2, the stories are, like Sharpe, works of fiction within historical fact. Well worth the read and I await the next in the series.
on 28 January 2014
GREAT YARN CONTINUING THE JACK TANNER PATH THROUGH WORLD WAR TWO COMBINING STRONG STORY LINE WITH ACCURATE HISTORICAL DETAIL ABOUT CAMPAIGNS, UNITS, WEAPONS AND GEOGRAPHY. BOOK IS PROVIDED WITH EXCELLENT MAPS TO AID ENJOYMENT. HAS AN INTERESTING SUBPLOT REGARDING TREACHERY OF TANNER'S COMMANDING OFFICER.
on 26 May 2014
Unlike some authors who run out of steam cashing in on a successful character I enjoyed the book from start to end. I would recommend this book and cannot comment more without spoiling the content for other raders
on 23 August 2013
We have been waiting for this book since last year having read all the other Tanner books. It was like joining up with an old friend again. My 93 year old sister absolutely loves these novels.

MORE PLEASE!
on 29 August 2013
Wow, another great book by James Holland. The attention to detail and the sub plot of the Mafia mayor was excellent. Great characters, hope we get to read more of Jack Tanner and Stan Sykes' daring missions soon.