Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 August 2001
I have read the books previous to The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous and found that this fitted in nicely with those. I didnt, however, surpass them in anyway at all. In Riders you loathe Rupert and the way he treats people but by the time you have finished Rivals you realise how great he is; in Polo you just love him more. There are so many characters in the previous three that you really like or dislike so much that they make a huge impact all the way through the novels... Rupert for being so hideous in the first but changing, Taggie who is utterly lovable and Helen who is totally irritating all the way through; but I didnt feel that way about any characters in the book there wasnt anyone that made a huge impact on me in the way the previous books had. I found Lysander quite irritating at times, he really annoying in the way he falls in love three time in the space of a about 600 pages, Kitty is so wet.... you just want to scream LEAVE HIM!! the whole time, and the rest of the cast are so concerend with their looks is ridiculous, i dont think there is one normal sized, normal looking person in the whole of Paradise!
Jilly Cooper's novels are absolutly absorbing, all of them are (i have read Appassionata and am half way through Score! at the moment), but I do find with TMWMHJ that it is too flitty and the story is not a patch on the rest. i do recommend it though as it fits very well with the rest of the novels. It is best to read them in order though as you get to know the characters quite well and when there names are dropped in the next book you find yourself smiling at them getting on so well.
Keep up the good work Jilly, your novels have kept me entertained for weeks now. They are so great you find yourself constantly saying 'Just one more chapter and the lights definatly going off!!'
on 20 June 2002
As an avid Jilly reader, The Man who Made Husbands Jealous has kept me entertained time & time again. Whilst still keeping us upto date with our old favourites like Rupert & Taggie, Jilly introduces us to some delicious new characters. Lysander Hawkley so obviously a man that any women would want to meet, surpassing even Rupert Campbell-Black, with his love of the opposite sex. Rannaldini the most fascinatingly evil character will surely run on & on, he obviously has a major story to tell.
All the female characters are well drawn too. Georgie Maguire, loved by fans worldwide but with as many problems & insecurities as any other women. Kitty Rannaldini downtrodden but so kind, I was longing for her well deserved happy ending. Hermione Harefields character just kept me laughing all the way through the story. Flora Seymour the teenager from hell & so real. A few minor gripes with the seemingly pointless Rachel Levistky character but overall this is Jilly Cooper at her absolute best.
on 24 April 2015
I just love Jilly Cooper's books when I want a page turner that has plenty of everything in it, and a story to make tears and laughter. This is not classic fiction but it doesn't pretend to be, and her usual recipe works for me.
on 20 March 2016
Love Jilly Cooper and have read most of these books before
when they first came out. She has had me in stitches, with
certain things she has written about. Love RCB and have
Loved him since Riders. Can't wait for the new book from
Ms Cooper. X
'The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous' is typical Jilly Cooper. It made laugh, cry, and will undoubtedly leave you wanting more. I have read it many times, and it remains a firm favourite. The tale gallops along, with noble horses, faithful dogs, beautiful women, and a hero to die for! Once agin, we are transported into a world that most of us can only imagine, moving in royal circles, with rock stars, composers, and beautiful people. In the centre of all this decadence, is our hero, Lysander Hawkley, a rogue with a heart of gold. This is a man who just can't say no - to women, wine, horses, and of course, money. I absolutely loved this book, and I recommend it heartily. Well done Jilly!
on 22 August 2015
The book arrived in a reasonable time. However, 'good condition' is somewhat of an exageration. The book has all the dried up attributes of an old musty library, but with addition of 'sticky stuff' on the cover. A gentle clean to the front and back covers left it demanding some care during reading to mimise page loss. At least it looks to be complete (hence the 2 stars).
on 1 September 2015
I found the book just went on and on, a bit pointless in parts, some parts were so boring, I couldn't wait to finish it and skipped pages in order to do that. This is the first time I haven't enjoyed a book in a long time.
VINE VOICEon 28 December 2012
This novel deals with the story of Lysander, a handsome young blood (are there any ore kind in JC's books) who is lovely, kind but hopeless in matters of business. Desperately struggling following the accidental death of his mother he is convinced into trying his hand at making errant husbands jealous so that they return from their philandering to their wives.
It also deals with the ups and downs of several relationships and introduces Rannaldini the handsome and terrifying conductor.
Well worth reading and far better than most of her subsequent books.
on 26 February 2013
I hadn't read this since I was a teenager, so downloaded it and decided to re-read. It's not as good as I remember it! I like Jilly Cooper's style of writing, and find her easy to read, hence this is a 4-star review. But overall the book left me feeling a bit lost in places. Quite a large chunk of the book suddenly skips from character to character without any build-up and I was left wondering who they were and why they were important, until several chapters later.
on 30 September 2013
Such a funny book - reading it at the moment - only 25 per cent of the way through, love Lysander already - know the other 75 per cent is going to be just as good. Jilly Cooper has great humour. Have to add, now that I've finished the book, that there were times when the reader just longed to give Lysander a good slap - he's such a wimp !!!!!