on 16 August 2014
Smart turn round. Thank you.
on 17 March 2017
Oh dear. Terrible book. The story was just ridiculous, nothing really happened and the characters were just horrible. She's beautiful- ok, we get it!! We are reminded at least every other page and it got extremely irritating very quickly. If I hadn't read and loved other books by Johanna Lindsey there's no way I would have even bothered finishing this and would certainly not have looked for others by her. It seemed immature and quite poorly written, aimed at teenagers maybe? Way too many Americanisms too- we don't have 'blocks' here, we do not say 'don't go there' or put issues 'on the table', nor do we particularly say 'hug'. I also dislike how Lindsey tends to force her characters accents; the Scottish dialogue was just ridiculous and difficult to read. However, I'm not done with Johanna Lindsey, I'm just glad this was a library book and I didn't waste money on it, just my time.
on 31 March 2013
Taken from my Blog Post (#73) in January 2011, after borrowing the book and failing to finish it (DNF).

I am afraid to say that this book defeated me - I failed to finish it ...... purely because it failed to grab my imagination.

Plus there were so many eye-rolling moments, I kept losing concentration, and thus interest.

Right from the start, I started off being confused by the sheer amount of dialogue, and having to re-read to get the gist and decide who said what. etc. For me personally I like a plot to be established before too much of that goes on.

Also, bearing in mind that this is an Historical romance the language used was too contemporary. Would it not be highly unlikely for a Heroine to have behaved in that way the social restrictions of the age in which it was set? The use of the word "bangs" got me reaching for the final few nails in the coffin of reading it to the bitter end. Don't get me wrong, I am not asking for flowery Georgian phrases all the way through, but try to be realistic about speech of the period that you are writing in. Indeed, I frequently overlook the use of "blocks" when referring to how far away point A was from point B .... we don't have blocks here in England!!!!

Other things that bothered me:

I'm no Historian, but being English and having grown up with the class system I would most soundly question the fact that even a Scottish Duke (are there any of those apart from Royal ones anyway) would have spoken with such a pronounced accent?

Even the most self-absorbed Heroines would have noticed that she was heading into the barren waste lands and not going towards London, how much research did the author do on the geographical features in the UK as there is a marked difference between Northmberland and say Northamptonshire Oxfordshire or Berkshire.

The phrase "put something on the table" most certainly would not have been uttered even 30 years ago let alone in Regency/Victorian England -I couldn't quite decide exactly when the book was set (I do like it when an author actually puts the date at the start, or it is obviously early on by an historical reference i.e. Waterloo, Prinny).

I realise that producing a body of work is a very challenging undertaking, and please don't construe this as disrespectful (we are after all entitled to our own opinions) but I am afraid I have only awarded half * a star because of all of the above. It could be that I have been spoilt by the likes of Liz Carlyle, Mary Balogh, Lisa Kleypas, Stephanie Laurens, Gaelen Foley, Georgette Heyer and Victoria Holt in the past of course........even BLUSH Barbara Cartland (I finished all of her books by the way). Please read it and give me your opinion I would be most interested to hear it.

If I can take away anything from trying to read this book is hope that my own humble efforts might stand a chance of being published.
on 17 July 2008
I normally love reading Johanna Lindsay's books but this one was absolutely terrible. So bad that I am having second thoughts buying any new ones. The entire premise of the book is bad, there is no real plot actually and it was a real chore reading it.
Do not buy, just get it at the library, its really really bad.
on 21 July 2011
Oh, dear - the worst pile of codswallop I have ever read - please do not spend your money on this. This writer seems to think that the only thing a woman could possibly want is for a man to come along, tell her about her faults and then 'rectify' them for her! If that means kidnapping her and having it off with her until she mews in submission and thanks him for 'making her a better person' then so be it. (Pass the sick bucket).

The heroine is tedious and dull - why did the author think we'd want to read about such an unlikable character? The hero was so rubbish he actually annoyed me! Every single time he appeared in the book we were told he is a 'rake' yet there's no evidence to back this up. After being told AGAIN that 'Rafe is such a rake' we then get the heroine telling us he's being 'rakish' - why, whoever thought that possible?

Utterly jaw-dropping (and not in a good way) is the rubbish attempt to write the way the stereotypical Scottish character speaks. He is supposed to be the best friend of Rafe the Rake but who knows (or cares) why (and the heroine's first intended husband) but he comes across as an over-the-top version of Billy Connolly. Reading the supposed Scots pronounciation is hard and tedious - I mean, who ever heard a Scotsman insert an 'i' into the word 'bloody' making it now 'bluidy'. He'd have been more convincing if he'd turned up, shown everyone what he wears under his kilt and said 'Hoots mon ha'y'seen the Loch Ness Monster?' But never mind that - she can't even get the English way of speaking right so I suppose the Scots one had no chance!

Boring, dull, and outdated - if this writer thinks all women want is to be brought to heel by a man then pity for her, she's soooooo outdated. Lots about the story don't even ring true - like her father trying to buy her some friends because she's too beautiful to have real friends. No, she hasn't got any friends because she's about as exciting as root canal surgery. Didn't bother reading the last few pages because I felt I could have written them myself - surpise surprise, the warring couple find themselves in love and she's happy not because she's a better person but because a small scar has meant she's no longer the solar system's most beautiful woman. Me? I'd have kneed Rafe the Rake in an unmentionable place and escaped on his horse .....
on 25 February 2009
Contrary to the other reviewers, I enjoyed this book. The heroine was quite an interesting personality. Yes, she was described as uniquely beautiful but she was very tough and had character. The hero on the other hand was boring and his character not well developed by the writer. I must be weird, but I really enjoyed the book. Also, liked the indepth look into the heroine's upbringing and parenting. I agree book not as good as other JL books and this is why I have not giving it 5 stars, but still a good read.
VINE VOICEon 5 April 2009
This is the first book I have read by this author and I had no problems with her writing style. My main problems would be that the heroine was really quite unlikeable a lot of the time. That and the almost complete lack of plot! The characterisation didn't make up for that. There were some stange things in there too, like the heroine expecting a footman from a house she has visited to drive her coach for her! It didn't ring true.

Not a keeper for me, although I may try another book by this author in the future.
on 4 January 2009
This is not only the worst book she has ever written it is the worst love story I have read. Shockingly bad!! (I tried to give it no stars as it doesn't even rate one, but you have to give it at least one.) Don't even bother with this book, there is no plot, no dialogue, no laughter, no tears...nothing in this book worth reading it for. So sad! I will avoid Lindsey from now on, no fool me!
VINE VOICEon 14 May 2008
I'm really going to have to give up on this writer, or have my tastes changed? It's so hard to decide whether or not to buy new books by this author as they fluctuate in quality so much.
The "heroine" appeared in an earlier book, but there's absolutely no need to have read that book before this one. The whole premise is that she is sooo beautiful that she's had a hard life fighting off her father's ambitions and later on her suitors. Her father's an earl but not accepted by the aristocracy as he would have wished - and that is an even more ridiculous idea. One man decides to change her character and believes he's done that in only a couple of days, how? Well guess! They then go back to London and have the usual misunderstandings.
What a waste of my time reading this, when I consider Johanna Lindsey's quality books of the 1980s and '90s.
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 May 2016
I don't understand the bad reviews on this book. I loved every bit of the book the dialogue between Ophelia and Raphael was just comical. I was not keen on the last few chapters and the nastiness between them and the accident was unnecessary and could have had a better ending apart from that just brilliant!