Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 October 2006
This well-written biography trully captures the spirit of Fred's life and I believe Fred would have liked it. This book includes some of his frustrations and many achievements. The only thing missing is smell of Fred's oil soaked cloth cap and a (couple) of pints of Guiness.
on 29 December 2006
I was given this book for Christmas as I've always been a Fred fan but never really a book lover. I started it Christmas Day and hardly put it down! It is compulsive reading.

It is written in Fred language which makes it easy to follow and the last few chapters tell you all the things that never showed up in the TV series. A good read and definitely worth buying.
on 14 October 2016
on 19 March 2017
Enjoyed
on 8 January 2017
Interesting but repetitive. Could have been edited down quite a bit and still have been a good read.
on 17 August 2010
I didn't buy this book, I picked it up in a house I stayed in. It caught my attention as I liked Fred Dibnah although his constant "agreeing noises" whenever anyone else spoke were so irritating I could not watch much of him on TV.

This book covers all of Fred's public life from his earliest chimney fellings to his final demise. It discusses his highs and lows and his marriages and gives a real insight into Fred the man, rather than just the TV character. It makes a good read.

However for me the book lacked something and as I neared the end I realised what it was. The author seemed to have little understanding or interest in what interested Fred. David Hall seemed interested in Fred the man but was not interested and did not understand anything about the things that fascinated Fred. I suppose this is good and bad, good in the sense that the author did not get sidetracked into technicalities but bad in the sense that without much understanding how could he convey the enthusiasms that Fred had for steam, engineering and many practical things.

David Hall did a good job in keeping Fred on TV (and therefore entertaining millions and giving Fred an income) but, I feel, he and Fred could never have been kindred spirits.
on 18 April 2007
I enjoyed this biography very much but felt it was a little long and slightly repetitive. It also helps if you have some appreciation of steam engines and other mechanicals as it gets just a little technical from time to time. However, the author does bring out Fred's essential warmth and enthusiasm. All told it is certainly worth reading even if, unlike me, you don't come from Bolton.
on 16 June 2008
It really is a nice read, the author, I feel, really brings Fred's character into the book, yes there are a few repetative bits, but it's all by the by really. What really comes accross is Fred's drive, passion and ambition not forgetting his sense of humour. I for one thoroughly enjoyed reading it and whole heartedly recommend it. Time for a pint.....
on 22 February 2011
This book ought to be on the national school curriculum: it shows
how to be at ease with oneslf and society without cow-towing to
all the nonsense and hypocrisy of the modern 'p.c.'world.
Quite simply Fred became a National Treasure and this volume is a celebration of that purely fortuitous achievement.

Martyn McGinty (Fairdeal Books).
on 30 August 2006
Although it says published on 2nd Sept 2006 I managed to get a copy from my local Tesco.Well written and interesting all the way through I found the last chapters particularly poingnant and sensetively dealt with.Fred lead a varied and interesting life and if you love a good biography you will love this one!

Nice one Fred (and David)