on 17 April 2016
First and foremost we're introduced to Susan, Deaths granddaughter and a new favourite in my books. Hard as balls and soft as cotton, she's a greatly written character.
Whilst the story is quite fun and portrays a lot of our own musical history especially of the decades of the 70's 80's and early 90's, it jumps around quite a bit and I found it difficult to get involved in so many perspectives.
Again, a social commentary from Sir Terry but not the best
on 18 June 2015
Up until now I have given every discworld novel 5 stars and I have read the first 15 in order. All brilliant with great plots as well as humour. But somehow Soul Music didn't quite do it for me. The humour is brilliant with some very funny music jokes - although you would have to know a bit about rock music to appreciate them. However, the plot is not as good as usual and the ending is a bit of a let down (and a bit confusing). It felt as if the author had run out of steam a bit. This is still a good book - but not his best.
on 7 April 2014
Perm any combinations of those and you'll like this. Especially if you like a good pune.... Susan isn't your typical schoolgirl. Admittedly, the schoolgirls in books about schoolgirls tend not to be typical schoolgirls but Susan takes being atypical to a whole new level. But it's hard to be typical if your grandfather ushers souls into the next world and rides a horse who can gallop across the sky. And when you through an elf, a dwarf and a troll with musical ambitions into the mix, who knows where it'll end? Well, I do, because I've read the book. And I recommend you do too.
on 13 July 2017
One of the amazing books in the disk world series. Best read as part of a pseudo series called the "death series" of disk world novels. Great on its own but you'll pick up on little references to the previous books if you've read them. They don't affect the plot but it's a nice feeling when you get the references.
on 24 February 2015
Our favorite Discworld novel.
The reasons are obscure but have to do with Jim Steiman, Psychomania and spending too long in the Pop business.
Bought this for a friend who had only flirted with F&SF.
She is now hooked and her husband is tasked with getting her all the rest of the Discworld cannon for her birthday, so beware.
This World is catching.
on 28 January 2013
Fantastic book. You don't have to have read the other books in the Death series of the Discworld, but it certainly helps a little. I love this book because there are so many references to music and many subtle and not so subtle amusements any music lover would get.
Death is easily my favourite character of the discworld novels but he doesn't feature much in this particular book, it's more about The music with Rocks in and his granddaughter, Susan.
I found this book greatly entertaining and would recommend it to anyone.
on 26 June 2016
Saw the animation film on TV years ago. One to add to my Discworld collection. Will not fail to satisfy when I get around to read (on Raising Steam atm), bound to be better than film, looking forward to it.
on 19 September 2017
Another enjoyable canter around Terry's disc world, very funny and brilently written satire!
on 8 January 2016
I downloaded this to my Kindle as a book club read having read it when it originally came out in paperback. I was really glad that I did as I found it just as hilarious now as I did the first time round. Each and every paragraph has at least one side splitter - definitely not to be read on the bus. The way Sir Terry Pratchett managed to weave in the satirical message in such a funny way remains nothing short of genius and I will certainly be revisiting the Discworld again.
on 9 April 2016
The funniest thing I've read for ages. This history of rock is infused with every rock band pun you could imagine right down to the one about the bloke who works down the chipshop....
Great fun from start to finish! Read it or be an oblong thing.