on 1 February 2018
I've been collecting all these new discworld collection hardbacks now for a few years. I've noticed though that the 2nd half of the collection published by doubleday. Although have the same nice hardback covers as the 1st part of the collection, they dont have the nice bookmarks. I don't know why they chosen to remove them but you would have thought they'd have kept them to keep the collection consistent. Now half the collection has book marks and half doesn't. Not a very good move and kind of a let down. The book itself is a 5 star read but I'm knocking it down a mark for the publication differences with them choosing to drop the bookmarks, bring them back!
review imagereview image
2 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 February 2017
Nanny Ogg's Cookbook a discworld book by Terry Pratchett arrived on time and in great condition in a sealed platic envelope, for a second hand book i cant believe the condition its like a brand new book, I loved this book when it was first published and loved the recipes, but i lent my copy to friend who lost the copy and never replaced it, so when i saw this advertised for such a great price i had to buy it, and im not lending to anyone this time !!! I love the recipes and the whole book is a great fun read, i think that every kitchen should have a copy. the book is full of great recipes and will keep you amused all through the book, and Nanny Ogg's commentary on different aspects of ettiquete are brilliant and all the notes from Discworld characters are so funny and they make the book an authentic Discworld book as if published in Ankh-Morpek. I would recommend to anyone Nanny Ogg's cookbook is an alternative to normal household management and recipe books ie Mrs beeton and the Klatchian Curry was a real success and so are the sheep eyes, I have ordered another copy for my cousin whos getting married next year as its such a great book for young couples setting up home togeher 5 stars
on 22 June 2017
Bought on my Kindle, part of the Terry Pratchett Disc World series. Prompt service from Amazon as always. A brilliantly written tale about what happens when a child born - destined to become a wizard is found to be a girl - as natural heir there is no going back despite the fact it breaks tradition and the old Wizard has expired literally just prior to this revelation. Chaotic and hilarious its a brilliant book with many laugh out loud moments and well worth reading as a 'stand alone' or chronologically as part of the series.
on 13 March 2015
I had heard about the disc World Series by Terry Pratchett but had never read it. When I decided to read it, imagine my delight to find there are 24 or 25 novels to read! So yes I did, I took the first novel and started to read, to become familiar with the physics of the disc world and to start to understand what might be happening and why. Mr Pratchett created for himself a world, with its own physics with the forces of magic being high on the list. Having described the world, the disc world, pretty thoroughly in the first two books I found myself enjoying this science fantasy as Mr Pratchett's skills opened up and revealed themselves in his writing style. I am on book four and reading about the being called death and his apprentice, the book's progress is interesting as you may imagine. Equal rites is a very pleasant little story about wizards and witches and a woman trying to grow up and develop as a wizard in the "masculine by tradition" Wizard world. Because I have read the earlier books, it is interesting to follow this argument in the disc world. The book covers the process up to puberty roughly and stops there. I have no doubt that the female wizard will appear in a later book. I quite liked her so I will look forward to that.
The themes of the book are quite robust and do give the impression that they will last throughout the series of books, I am looking forward to the development of the different issues Mr Pratchett explores.
on 11 October 2012
This is the follow up to "The Wee Free Men". Tiffany Aching is a witch and is starting to learn what that means in terms of responsibilities. She is also learning new skills; and unfortunately, she finds out the hard way that sometimes just because you can do something, doesn't always mean that you should do it.

This is a really great romp of a story by a master storyteller. The characters are normal people seen through a looking glass in a way that allows the odd to seem normal and for the normal to be held up to sometimes be a little odd. It sees the return of the "Nac Mac Feegle", a race of pictsies that are harder to kill than cockroaches, that spend their time, fighting, drinking and stealing. The story allows the various characters to be developed further and although each of Sir Terry's books can be read on it's own, this one is better read after the first book in order to best enjoy the way that they progress.

The story is suitable for younger readers, but contains a lot of references that will raise a smile on the face of most adults. It does a great job of bridging the gap between the the age groups and would appeal to almost anyone. I imagine that any young person that read this book and then went back to read it a few years later might well find more to enjoy, hidden in the pages.

A great addition to the series of Diskworld novels, and a wonderful story with some astute observations about people and the way that they behave.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2017
Susan Sto Helit is a favourite character, as is Lu Tze, the Sweeper (an unconventional history monk). Aided by the four horsemen of the apocalypse (did you know there are actually five?) and with a walk on appearance of Nanny Ogg, they come together to defeat the evil Auditors as they plot to end the world by bringing time to a standstill.
It's a rollicking tale, rushed onwards on the amazing imagination and Discworld Science that the late Terry Pritchett excelled at.
on 18 June 2016
Brilliantly clever novel. I find that Terry Pratchett's books either leave me blown away by their ingenuity, subtle humour and wisdom - or I am left feeling he's copied a formula he's used before and I get a strong feeling of deja vue as I turn the pages. Thief of Time belongs to the first category as it's filled with strong characters, numerous twists and turns, and has a clever ending.
on 27 April 2016
Terry Pratchett!! what a writer!! We were lucky to have him, and I love these particular books, they are often sold as a trio, and are very much about what they say they are about - through the difference in treatment between witches (women) and wizards ( men, of course)! It begins because a girl gets a wizards' staff, and goes from there. He has such a lovely light touch and an infectious sense of humour and of the ridiculous too, lovely. And its very rare for me to laugh out loud, but I did!
VINE VOICEon 15 January 2008
The previous Pratchett book staring Tiffany Aching, `The Wee Free Men', was an absorbing and entertaining read but this second book in the series is simply another degree of excellence above its predecessor. In this book Tiffany is now eleven and is leaving home for the first time in order to learn what it means to be a witch. Travelling to the mountains she stays with the research witch Miss Level but a creature from the dawn of time is stalking her and will make life difficult once it catches her.

It has been a long time since I read an entire book in a single day but this one was just so absorbing and entertaining that I just could not put it down. The book is as intelligently written, bringing the characters and scenery to life as effectively if not better than any other Discworld book. The book is also as funny as anything else Terry Pratchett has produced in the last few years. The Nac Mac Feegle, while still important, have something of a reduced role in this book but they are still up to their old tricks and produce some of the most entertaining parts of the story.

If the previous book had a fault it was that it seemed to be somewhat isolated from the rest of the Discworld but thankfully that is put right here with appearances by such Discworld staples as wizards and Death, meaning that the book feels a part of the rest of the series. I cannot help but feel that Terry Pratchett was on top form once again for this book and I feel the final confrontation at the Witch Trials is one of the best sequences that he has ever put to paper. `A Hat Full of Sky' is a brilliant book and is not only my favourite Discworld book but has also stormed strait to the top of my list of all-time favourite books, I just worry that after this the next book in the series `Wintersmith' will not be able to live up to the same standards.
3 people found this helpful
on 10 January 2017
Great third book by Terry Pratchett. Not a big reader but picked up book 1 at Christmas and still enjoying the series. Beautiful descriptions of a fantasy world that comes to life in your mind.

I was trying to ignore my progress through the book but two thirds into the book there was quite a slow section that dampened the pace. Still a good read and eagerly onto the 4th book.