on 27 June 2017
A great story of both poverty & wealth through individual characters and their coming together, or not as in the case of two people and the lives of those around them.
on 5 May 2017
A really great read.
on 10 December 2014
excellent book love Val Wood books
on 20 July 2017
Extremely good read, lots of pages ,lasts a while.
on 6 August 2015
A great book.Super story.
on 1 February 2008
Having been born in Hull is what attracted me to this book when I came across it, as the story is set in old day Hull, I had never even heard of the author. After the first few pages I was hooked, couldn't put it down, I was amazed at how people struggled with things we take for granted and waste every day, and was able to picture the streets mentioned in the book which still exist today, and imagining what they must have looked like. You really get to like the main characters Grace and Ruby and find yourself hoping it all turns out for them. I loved this book and will definitely be giving her other books a go.
on 26 April 2009
As with the previous review of Valerie Woods book, I find this one interesting. You cannot begin to understand how some people lived in the past. In this book it descibes and area that my mother was living in during the second world war. I hope it wasn't like Valerie Wood descibed it in the past. I can't ask my mum because she is no longer with us. I find Valerie Wood an intertesting writer.
on 31 July 2012
Another brilliant book by Val Wood they are so true to life of years gone by. I get totally engrossed in the stories would definitely recommend Vals books.
on 3 November 2012
As i live in Hull i have always been a fan of Valerie Wood books, a lot of the places she mentions are still there and you can always imagine what it was like in the books well done
on 2 May 2014
This book has got everything in the right amount. gritty, romantic, interesting to learn how people lived and the class difference. would recommend to people who want to grab some time to just sit quietly and enjoy a good book!