on 22 August 2015
This wasn't my favourite Vimes story. It got very serious and I couldn't enjoy it like I did the others. The writing was very clever, but for me there was a dark shadow over it and towards the end I didn't want to read it as it left me feeling depressed.
on 29 August 2014
My fav out of all of his books; engaging and extremely entertaining, see all your best-loved characters from the beginning at a very important point in Ankh Morpork's past.

Thouroughly enjoyed it. A must-buy for teens and adults.
on 27 July 2015
As always with TP an excellent story, well told. TP should be compulsory reading in schools, to show people how to use the English language to describe events, emotions and experiences. A sad loss to the world that there will be no more.
VINE VOICEon 29 June 2015
Once again another cracking novel from Terry Pratchett. His imagination just goes on and on. With this one it would help the reader to have read some of the others to understand some of the characters. Nevertheless it is a great novel.
on 11 January 2016
I have only recently started to read these books and I must say I wonder why I waited so long. I enjoyed this book with Sam Vines going back to meet himself as a rookie Night Watch man and also meeting his future wife as a girl.
on 19 September 2012
i have always dipped in and out of the discworld series, and am never disappointed when i pick one up. This is no exception; funny and eternally readable with fantastic character development. Always a treat for the easy reader.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2015
Good, Very, very good. Archytypal Vimes, typical Pratchett. Full of comedy, wry understatement, odd phrases that can turn your thought processes upside down (if you bother to actually think about them). I miss the man already!
on 1 July 2016
I have read this book so many times and it never fails to impress me with its wit and insight. Terry at his best and one day this book will be recognised as the classic it is and given due reverence, and a hard boiled egg.
on 27 January 2017
From ironic references, to a tribute to Dylan Thomas all in one neat package. Pratchett's was always masterful in his command of language (and, I suspect, argued quite as much with spell-checkers and predictive as I do).
on 23 April 2015
My favourite Discworld novel. Until I read another one...

Well thought out, with characters new and old, and a story line you can't put down. Fantastic book. Much like all the other creations of Sir Pratchett.