on 29 January 2016
My husband bought the whole Belgariad (kindle edition) for me for Christmas, as I'm no longer able to read my paperback copies. I absolutely LOVE Eddings' worlds, and this one was the first we came into contact with, 20 years ago, and I STILL get the same amount of pleasure reading them! Try the Belgariad, you really WON'T be disappointed!
on 11 October 2015
I first read this series as a teenager. To this day it is my favourite series and I have never found a series that is quite the same. The adventure continues and the highlights here is the bringing the Colt back to life after death in the cave where the Gods created the world and meeting Relg from the underground Caverns of Ulgoland. An excellent book.
on 5 February 2014
If you've never read David Eddings, get it now. If you have, you'll know that he needs no recommendation: one volume of this calibre would be luck, two - coincidence, but the third confirms his writing as masterful and engaging. The novels are deceptively simple in style, but it is an elegant and skillful simplicity that reads quickly and yet conveys a powerful saga of myths and magic, heroes, heroines and all the other elements you could wish for in this genre.
This volume moves Garion further forward through his adventure, and the read is so quick I have already forgotten the detail of this section of the plot, being on Volume 5 currently. If you can afford it, get all five in one go, as I find I am halfway through each book before I know it, and the next arrives just before I finish the last, despite most seller's prompt service. The good news is, there are another series (The Malloreon) after that, as well as other supplementary novels and more, so I won't be lost for something to read for a while.
on 2 September 2015
This must be the 4th or 5th time I've read this series, I love it every time.

Eddings has a beautiful eloquent style, vibrant characters and a non waffly descriptive talent that really takes you into the story. It's easy to follow and thoroughly satisfying read.

Would heartily recommend this series to anyone who loves a ruddy good fantasy.
on 20 November 2014
Garion has matured a lot since the first book and here you see him start to realise that he has to face up to what he's a part of. This book definitely takes a darker turn and the reality of just what people are capable of, for good and bad, is shown. Another excellent instalment.
on 18 February 2013
The third book in the series, I have swallowed these up in quick succession. the writing is great, really allows you to immerse yourself in this world without dragging you under with long descriptive paragraphs.

I think it is with particular skill that Eddings was able to discuss religions, Gods (as well s meeting a couple) without stating this is right and that is wrong. I feel it would be hard for this to cause offence or tension.

I cant wait to read the next book and watch all of our characters evolve and emerge
on 18 March 2014
I loaned this series of books from a friend over ten years ago and recently was looking for something to read (After re-reading my Feist collection).

The story line is still fresh, I like the characters and I had forgotten the story line. A great read.
on 3 March 2014
I have read the complete Belgariad series more times than I can remember so when I purchased a Kindle I just had to download the series to read on holiday. I love the way the characters are developed and grow up during the five books and the story telling although somewhat predictable is really good. I would definitely recommend the Belgariad series and the follow up series the Malloreon.
on 2 December 2013
Had heard of David Eddings but hadn't read anything by him till the Belgariad series which was very good
If you haven't read it yet and you like a bit of sword and magic fantasy then you are in for a treat
on 13 December 2002
Once again I am shocked by yet another amazing book in The Belgariad series. My expectations for these books were extremely low before I started reading them, but over and over again I am surprised as I get caught up in the plot and in the amazing characters. However, by now my surprise is wearing off and I'm becoming more and more scepticle of the overall quallity of the writing.
The plot is simple: a boy called Garion has started a quest into perilous lands to recover the Orb of Aldur, a very powerful magical item which was stolen by a thief. With the Orb, the thief could awaken the evil god Torak and then mount a campaign to attack and defeat the western civilizations, all of which are eternal enemies of Torak. Garion is traveling with his aunt Polgara, his grandfather Belgarath (both of which are sorcerors), and several other interesting characters as he chases down the thief to recover the Orb. All the while Garion is discovering a strange power which he has, and things are revealed about a mysterious other awareness which inhabits his thoughts occasionally.
That was just the basic plot-as basic as it gets. That was simple, but the details and twists in the book pulled me in from the first pages, and constantly I found myself caught up in it, turning the pages as fast as I could to finish and find out what happens. The thing about the plot is that it's exactly what I started reading fantasy books for in the first place. The Belgariad captures your imagination and curiosity better than so many other series, and it inevitably led to me sitting around, reading a few hundred pages a day because I just couldn't put it down.
Then, there are the characters. I can say that the characters took no small part in getting me caught up in Magician's Gambit. I found that I cared about the characters quite a bit. I really wanted to see how they'd change over time, with their general actions and actions toward each other. I was very pleased as I found that, like in the first two books, the developement of the characters was natural and believable.
However, my initial shock of how amazing the plot and characters are began to wear off as I got into the book as I found more and more ways to criticize the writing. The quality of the writing really isn't anything special. There are parts which should be shortened, parts which should be lengthened, and parts which just simply need work. I have read some really amazing books before by really amazing authors, and the quality of the writing really isn't anything special.
In the end, though, I had to give this four stars. I can't say something's terrible if I was so caught up in it and read it in just a day or two. I'd reccomend it-it's easy, enjoyable, and a very good example of a fantasy book...