Format: Paperback|Change

This is a book that I have read and read and read! I love it. I love reading about all the trials and tribulations of Jilly's life - Putney, her dogs, her family and her friends. It is a real feel-good book. She is funny, irreverent, chatty, a gossip, scatter-brained, and extremely observant, both of her surroundings, and people in general. She has a real love for her dogs, and I laughed and cried with her at their antics. I always feel with Jilly Cooper that she is the sort of person that you could go up to and really talk to, and having been lucky enough to meet both her and her charming husband Leo, I have to say that she is!! She is exactly how I had imagined she would be after reading this book. Utterly charming, and genuinely interested in talking to people. The Common Years is a book that I go back to again and again. It is not just a diary of events, it is far more personal than that. It is an insight into her life, but it is like reading a letter from an old friend, chatty and comforting. I love it, it really is my favourite.
on 31 January 2001
This is a lyrical and humorous diary of Jilly Cooper's love of dogs, the outdoors and family.
Her discriptions of seasonal changes and people changes are touching and frequently hilarious. I particularly enjoyed catching glimpses of ideas or situations that feature in her later novels. It showcases her irreverant humor in a more personal way.
on 17 November 2001
This is a totally enjoyable book which I have read
many times. It is funny, sad, happy, and uplifting
and guaranteed to make you smile. Jilly Cooper has
a wonderful knack of writing like a friend, and I
found myself immersed in her life, her
triumphs and tragedies,and her wonderful dogs. I
loved it, and will continue to read it often.
on 1 January 2012
I bought this book as I lived in Barnes and used to walk my dog regularly about the same time as the book is set. I reckonized several of the characters mentioned and it brought back lots of memories of happier times. Notwithstanding all of that it is a good read and amusing in parts. I recommend it to all and sundry
on 28 December 2012
I used to love everything Jilly wrote, going back to the seventies. I reread this out of nostalgia (and because I used to live near the Common, and also kept dogs). Sadly I found myself very disappointed. I realise Jilly started a trend of witty, self-deprecating chick lit but now I found her writing ordinary and sometimes tedious. I also got very riled at how she kept and didn't train her dogs. Her recent work is quite frankly confused, she should stop. I still love her though, out of loyalty.
on 5 February 2014
Jilly writes so beautifully about nature and seasons and dogs and the changes we face in life generally. You will spend time with Jilly in the pages of this book. The writing is wonderful- sad, funny, clever, truly evocative but consistently entertaining. I felt bereft when i finished this book.
on 3 April 2010
I really enjoyed this book, it is definitely bed-time reading as it isn't terribly exciting but it is a really funny and down to earth diary covering ten years spent living on Putney Common by Jilly Cooper.
on 18 March 2015
One of my favourite books. As a fellow dog walker I love the honesty with which Jilly Cooper writes about her experiences. The accounts of the changing seasons are wonderful and I love to learn about the things she sees in the natural world on her walks.
on 13 September 2015
Jilly Cooper's account of the decade she spent living near Putney Common, the people she met there, and the problems with her various dogs. Although i enjoyed it at first, i found myself increasingly irritated by her general hopelessness with her dogs. She lets them run amuck, then gets upset when people complain about the havoc they wreck. Eventually she has to have two of them put down, something that could probably have been avoided if she had exercised proper control over them. To have to have one healthy dog put down is a misfortune, two looks like carelessness. there are other oddities - for instance, at Christmas 1978 she claims she's too broke to buy the children any Christmas presents, yet by the following spring she's sending one of them to boarding school. Surely boarding school costs more than Christmas presents? Altogether i found myself liking her less by the end of the book than i had done before I read it.
on 13 April 2013
A Brilliant read for any animal/dog/countryside lovers. I read this book when it came out in the 70's and lent my copy to a friend but it was never returned, hence my buying another copy now. A great read Jilly Cooper ticks all the boxes with humour, patience, family, her lovely dogs, tears and I think of her walking on the Common when I am walking my own labrador.