Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 July 2012
This book feels as though Todd has a lot of ideas and plot material, but he has used it up in a profligate way, without adding enough detail to make a good book. Anne (R.I.P) tended to take relatively few characters and a simple plot and develop them well. This book contains a vast number of players with a large plot, but little time to get to know them. There's enough material here to cover three books. I'm not an author and have difficulty writing a coherent letter to my mum, but maybe Todd should look at the way David Weber or L. E. Modesitt Jr. can fill a story in with detail instead of using it all up too soon and confusing the readers.

Sorry Todd, You've got an impossible standard to live up to.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2017
Wish I had left Perns saga at 'All the weyrs of Pern'

This feels forced. Despite Anne's name being on the cover, the strangely disjointed plot and the somewhat childish relationships cause me to believe that Todd may have had quite a lot to do with this book.

Definitely not up to the standard of the previous 'proper' Pern books. My recomendation would be to leave the series at 'All the weyrs...' or 'The dolphins...'

Disappointed :(
on 1 October 2016
This book was a wonderful return to the Pern I know and love. Lessa's son F'lessan made a captivating central character. I wonder if a lot of the negative reviews are actually for Sky Dragons, Amazon has listed this as another edition of Skies of Pern rather than a completely different book. I would recommend this book to any fan of the 9th pass series.
on 13 February 2017
Love this book, Having these books on kindle is fantastic. I had read them as a teenager and still love her work now. Well worth reread
on 19 June 2017
Continuity again. Why didn't Anne McCaffrey get someone with a better memory than she had to read what she'd written.
on 10 June 2015
I was so disappointed - who gave this book 4 stars! it is awful. Badly written, disjointed, confusing. I love the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey but these by Todd are just awful and would never have been published if he hadn't traded on his mother's work. It would be better to never have another Pern book than to spoil the series like this.
on 22 June 2017
Love this series of books. Quality was great and arrived on time
on 3 June 2017
Answers a lot of questions left from other books. Not that there were gaps in the story but that in this book we get more and more about day to day life and further fleshing out of characters. A good progression from previous books
on 10 April 2017
Excellent
on 28 October 2001
The Pern series always manage to transport me away from the humdrum of life into its beautiful and magical world. I savour these books. I keep them on the shelf waiting to be read so that I can properly enjoy the anticipation. I try to wait for a particularly dull or hard section of daily struggle to arrive before giving myself this wonderful treat.
I started reading about this world some twenty years ago with Menolly the girl who could hear fire lizards and have never been disappointed. This follows on the glorious story.
Like all the other Pern books this submerges the reader into that survival-tec world of Pern within a few pages. Its like taking a refreshing holiday whilst tickling your puzzle cells to guess which 21st century (or beyond) piece of technology or know-how is going to be discovered again by the Pernese.
The tension point in this book is the question of what exactly the dragon riders are going to do as a livelihood once thread has vanished forever. This is nicely drawn out until about two thirds of the way through and only really confirmed within the last few pages.
There is the usual plotting by the baddies and the inappropriate or reluctant love story.