on 21 March 1999
BRILLIANT. There is no other word to describe this novel. Astonishing in its impact, breathtaking in its execution, it examines the power which money exerts in our everyday lives, and the influence it can have on those who come into contact with it. I first read it over a year ago, and I'm still going around thinking, "Yeah, what would I have done..?"
When I say that 'A Simple Plan' is one of the best novels I've ever read, I'm not exaggerating. Buy a copy and you'll see what I mean. Just one word of warning - don't start it at supper time or you'll never get to bed.
on 19 December 2012
Oh dear. Never have I been so disappointed with a book that has been raved about so much. My God what is wrong with people. Daft story with an even dafter bloke and a wife so evil she should have been locked up. No-one except a psychopath would do what Hank does for money. It's ludicrous. You'd give yourself up or kill yourself by the time the first person died. I don't go in for this "everybody has the capacity to kill" rubbish bandied about. Only if someone abuses or kills your kids I'd say. This isn't even written well. The only reason I've given it 2 stars rather than 1 is that it would probably make a better film than book.
Read this as it author Tim Weaver's favourite thriller. Now there's an author for you. Immaculate, superb thriller writing. And he admits people are psychopaths. Like Hank. Not normal. Definitely not normal.
One person found this helpful
on 13 May 2008
Saw this film version about 5 yrs ago, and stumbled on this book during a car-boot sale.
What a superb book. Great storyline, well written, fast paced, and most important of all, believeable?

Put yourself in the same situation..... 4 million dollars between 3 of you, one dead pilot in a crashed plane. What you gonna do? Hand the money in? Kill your brother and his friend? Split the money and run?

Read it.............. great book.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 December 2015
Great characters and I really enjoyed how the suspense grew. A real sense of walking through quick sand as one thing led to another and started to spiral out of control.
on 20 April 2002
Great story-telling -- the story starts off simply enough with three men finding a bag of money in a plane but gradually progresses, getting more involved with the characters getting into more complicated situations. It is not predictable, you don't know what is going to happen next, or how the story will finish. I found some parts a bit sickening but I could not stop reading as I wanted to find out what happened in the end.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 May 2001
Though by the time you reach the end this book may leave you rather depressed, it is a thrilling roller-coaster of emotions on the way. The stroy tells of the moral dilemmas faced by an ordinary, hard-working man as his life spirals out of control when he stumbles across a large amount of stolen money, and the efforts he goes to in order to keep the cash.
3 people found this helpful
on 29 April 2001
The book begins as the title suggests, with a simple plan. What follows is a journey, taken by the central character, from innocent family/business man, to an obessed and paranoid human who is willing to do anything to keep the money. Examines human nature with a fresh and exciting writing style.
on 29 August 2016
I liked the film but wasn't expecting to find the book even better. It follows a similar plot line as the film but it is even more twisted if that is possible, especially the ending.
on 11 October 1999
This is one of the best books ever. I will make sure that all of my friends read it too. The style, plot and development work so well and really make for good reading. I didn't want it to end and now that it has, I can't wait for the next Scott Smith novel.
One person found this helpful
on 29 November 1998
This book impressed the hell out of me. It leads you down a path of ever worsening crime and deceipt but makes you go "Yeah, that's what I'd do" every step until you find yourself..... Well that would be telling. Read it before the film comes out !