on 2 April 2018
Very witty but somewhat repetitive. Over a dozen book into the series and Discworld is no more fleshed out than it was in the first couple of books. It's all very light-weight and easy reading that you can pick up and put down anywhere. Rather like a TV soap where you can miss six months of episodes but be bang up to date within minutes of switching on the latest installment. The characters remain fairly 2D are and there's a heavy reliance on "one liners" for the jokes with a very thin story to hold it all together. You can only make a joke out of "music with rocks in (geddit, snigger)" so many, many times.

Quite a lot of rather simplistic political observations of the sort that you might expect from a teenager, too. Usually along the lines of how the world would be a lot nicer if people were a lot nicer. Well yes.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 23 September 2015
Written towards the end of his "golden production line" era, this not insignificant work closely mirrors events in our own world, though they've been shortened from decades into just a few days of narrative, from the birth of rock n roll to spotting Elvis down the chipshop. Hurrah. Watch out for a passage that seeks to mention as many band names (in pun form) as possible, it's quite an event. He must have done that to win a bet! Pratchett just about holds the writing style together from beginning to end, but there is evenidence here and there of the golden weave finally unravelling, with uninventive straight-forward note-style first-draft writing in just a few places. Well, he was turning out a couple of these a year at the time, on top of lots of other commitments, so you can't expect absolute perfection. It's one of the last of his truly original works, after which themes began to repeat very obviously, and the emphasis shifted from amiable lampooning to blunt critique.
on 15 July 2014
Watch out! You will probably miss some finely-tuned references to early rock'n'roll. I did, on first reading. It's about Death, and how he gets a bit introspective about his job, and how his daughter Susan and Binky, the white steed of Death, are dragooned into filling the post while he goes off to join the Foreign Legion (and begging on the streets, among other pursuits).
With a few homages to Spinal Tap, and loads of respect to Buddy Holly, Pratchett conflates the early years of Rock and Soul into a novel which describes (with much hilarity) what might happen if rock'n'roll hit a universe that wasn't quite ready for it. Had me walkin' down the road, snappin' my fingers and a-tappin' my feet.
(By the bye, 'The Surreptitious Fabric', I finally worked out, was a reference to Velvet Undergroud). One of my favourite Patchetts.
on 2 January 2014
Again I find a book, and a Pratchett book at that, which has missed being praised. There will be other missed too but for now I will content myself with this last one.

Story? and a half. With humour, Pratchetts most powerful tool, we are given insight into history, megalomania, oppression, misinformation and the abuse of the downtrodden and ignorant, kept that way by a tyrannical leadership who understand all to well what a dangerous and de stabling thing education of the masses can be. With the help of the 'Horde' and few others including our old fav raves 'The Luggage, Rincewind and Cohen a wild and somewhat magical adventure unfolds, telling as it does the history in some part of every power which has ever blighted the earth and in still too many places, still does. Which isn't funny, but here, in this novel, it is. Very. More so with hindsight.

Demi quote. ish.
'The rulers of this land have no need of whips'.
on 18 June 2015
Up until now I have given every discworld novel 5 stars and I have read the first 15 in order. All brilliant with great plots as well as humour. But somehow Soul Music didn't quite do it for me. The humour is brilliant with some very funny music jokes - although you would have to know a bit about rock music to appreciate them. However, the plot is not as good as usual and the ending is a bit of a let down (and a bit confusing). It felt as if the author had run out of steam a bit. This is still a good book - but not his best.
on 17 April 2016
First and foremost we're introduced to Susan, Deaths granddaughter and a new favourite in my books. Hard as balls and soft as cotton, she's a greatly written character.
Whilst the story is quite fun and portrays a lot of our own musical history especially of the decades of the 70's 80's and early 90's, it jumps around quite a bit and I found it difficult to get involved in so many perspectives.
Again, a social commentary from Sir Terry but not the best
on 26 April 2016
I think we see with this book, Terry 's growing knowledge of the world and he plays the difference between barbarianism and politics very well. A book I didn't think I would enjoy as Rincewind is my last favourite but I was pleasantly surprised. Rincewind is still the sarcastic coward but you are rewarded by the colourful cast and the return of the ever cheerful Two Flower.
On my list as the best out of the Rincewind stories
on 18 December 2013
This is an excellent Terry Pratchett Discworld novel. It is witty, lively, funny but also very deep, clever and thought provoking. This is definitely a good read.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels are marvellous. Just give the first two a miss (The colour of Magic and The light fantastic) as they are wobbly, and whatever you do don't read the last one (Raising steam) ; Raising Steam (clearly not written by TP!) is appallingly poor and would put you off the author, which would be a shame as his books are masterpieces!
on 6 August 2016
I am currently working my way chronologically through the Discworld novels and this one delivers another excellent read. Rincewind is at his incompetent best and it was great to find out what Cohen the Barbarian had been up to since his last appearance. Twoflower pops up and I particularly like the way Terry Pratchett brings characters in from other books. The writing, as usual, was inventive and funny and the plot another treatise on what humans get so very wrong when politicians are in charge. Altogether a lovely reunion of familiar characters in an unputdownable novel. Looking forward to number 18.
on 29 September 2013
A typical Pratchett Rincewind book: very very funny, and almost impossible to put down. As a serious reader and writer I have held back from giving the full 5 stars, because much like the previous 2 books in the Twoflower story (Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic), the plot is the least interesting part of the book. Pratchett is engaging on every level, but his plots in these three books lack very much interest or surprise, and are rarely greatly thought-provoking. All those elements come from other things such as the characters, funny footnotes, and the rich detail with which he has created the complex discworld universe.