on 22 February 2015
I have liked all of Catherine Cookson's books...I prefer when she writes of earlier times rather than a couple of books I have read set in the 1960s.
Happily this is one of the former and as usual was a good page turner and although I have roots in Lancashire a lot of the sayings and expressions used remind me of the way my grandmother spoke.
She really paints an excellent picture of life for poor people in those times and makes one thankful for today's comforts and luxury.
on 21 June 2016
Catherine cookson can do nothing wrong as far as I am concerned. A brilliant read. I've seen the televised version so many times that I noticed the differences in their production from the original tale but it still held me spellbound!
on 9 January 2013
ANOTHER REALLY GREAT STORY BY CATHERINE, THIS ONE IS ABOUT A GIRL WHO'S MOTHER GOES BAD SO SHE ENDS UP BEING CARED FOR BY A RAG WOMEN, SHE THEN FINDS LOVE BUT IT IS NOT THE LOVE SHE WAS HOPING FOR, BUT OF COURSE AT THE END SHE REALISES WHO HER TRUE LOVE IS. A REALLY GOOD READ.
on 7 April 2008
It`s some years since i read this one but for some reason every bit of this story sticks in my mind clear as a bell. It really affected me. I loved it ! The little orphan girl taken in by the rag woman.....
on 10 November 2013
This is Cathrine Cookson at here best.The story line really keeps you gripped and is so realistic.I found I could not put it down as you became more wrapped up in the story and the horrors that could and did happen in this era.
on 28 July 2015
book was advertised as being in good condition - it wasn't, badly stained and obviously well read, which I suppose is a recommendation but would have preferred a bit better condition - am returning it
on 11 February 2013
I buy these books for for o.h.as she love's them.When she picks up her book,usually in the evening,she finds it hard to put it down so i am promoted to head T Maker L.O.L.
on 12 June 2013
Another great read from the great Catherine Cookson excellent storyline could not put the book down its Catherine at her best - Brenda from Essex
on 19 December 2012
this is type of book, which is well read by my family, they have an interest with this particular author
on 25 April 2016
love catherine cookson and love this good seller would purchase from them again