on 5 December 2016
Not one of my favourite Pratchett novels. but definitely one of the cleverest that obviously takes the mick out of Hollywood (Holy Wood) which stares one time character Victor Tugelbend, Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler becoming a domestic prophet in selling Sausage-in-a-buns and the first appearance of Gaspode (also seen in Men At Arms) who makes Moving Pictures rather MOVING. Just make sure you know your films 'cos knowing Pratchett (rest his soul) there's tons of references to ones like Loony Toons, Lassie and Gone with the Wind.
Holy Wood Dreams.
Click.
on 21 May 2016
I love Sir Terry's books. This is one of the earliest but by no means the best. There are lots of allusions to old Hollywood films and it's fun spotting them. Detritus, Ruby, Gaspode and Dibbler feature largely, although perhaps not quite as refined as the characters they later become. It's a plain warning to the I Want To Be A Celebrity fools living on Planet MeIMyself.
on 30 October 2013
I had great fun reading this novel.. All the little bits of Holy Wood that hark to our world's Hollywood..
Loved to see Cut-Me-Own-Throat in a more central role, and, as always, enjoyed reading about Gaspode, who now has a companion in Laddie..
Also liked seeing the alchemists taking the limelight away from the wizards..
Victor, the main character, was good fun..
Sorry, I feel my review is a bit lame, but can't think of what to write without giving the plot away..!
I did enjoy this book, and will probably re-read it in the near future..
on 27 February 2018
Holy Wood has taken over the Discworld and Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler is right in there becoming a film mogul. Another very funny classic from the master. Highly recommended.
on 22 July 2013
bought this and lots of other pratchett books when got my first kindle so could read as liked. All the older books haven't read for a while and can not afford the prices for the hard backs (from middle to latest have a hardback collection). Took great pleasure in re-reading this again. The magic is still there and he's still the only author that keeps me glued to page chuckling away. If you haven't read a Pratchett novel before then buy one quick and be prepared for whole other world of entertainment. This is a good one to start with!
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 December 2013
Whilst this Terry Pratchett novel is humourous and written in his usual light style I found it hard to get into. I found the latter half of the book to be better than the first half and I find that I am unable to say exactly why. The first half just did not grip me like the second. I am not saying that it is a bad novel and I am working my way through the Disc World novels one at a time. As they go it is okay but I hope the next one is as good as all of the others that I have read prior to this one.
on 23 May 2015
What makes Terry Pratchett's books so good? And this is one of the best. The jokes are brilliant - he was one of the funniest writers on the planet. But I think the key to his success is the strength of the storylines. Moving Pictures is a really good story that has you turning the pages and staying up late to finish it. Clever, witty and entertaining. A thoroughly enjoyable book.
on 5 May 2015
I'm a Pratchett nut - I don't think that I've read a book of his that I would happily give 5 stars to.... I've read all of them at least twice.... This latest re dressing of the early part of the collection is great for newcomers - or the complete fruitcake like me.

Moving Pictures is definitely one of the most original of the collection....
on 25 August 2016
I've started to read all the discworld books from the beginning and I just don't think this is as good as others. It is still worth a read but I'm not a big fan of the premise of the story and it drops in too many real world references for my liking.
on 25 September 2017
I love all Terry Pratchett but this is definitely one of the weirder ones... Still, I enjoyed it very much! This is my third or fourth re-read so it must be good!