Customer reviews

on 1 May 2017
very good read
on 22 January 2013
Simply one of the best stories I've ever read!!! Read it for the first time over 14 years ago and still ignites a deep passion all these years later. Enjoy x
on 28 May 2000
The Girl was a brillient book in my opinion. It was the 4th Catherine Cookson I had read so I had not too much to compare it with. I enjoy Catherine's books as I like romances although I am 13 years old. I will definatley be reading more of her books later on. So far i have read the Tilly Trotter Trioligy and I think the Girl was similar to them, in the way that it was set out (e.g: Love, Broken hearts, Etc) I hope that if you read this book, that you will enjoy it as much as I have.
on 6 November 2015
In mid-19th century Yorkshire, Hannah Boyle is left with the family of Matthew Thornton, the man her dying mother claims fathered her. Ill-treated by Thornton's bitter and vindictive wife Anne, who views Hannah only as evidence of her husband's infidelity, she is married off to the village butcher, whose waspish mother torments her further. But through her patience, intelligence and strength, she wins her freedom and the man she loves.
on 5 July 2013
I had not read a Catherine Cookson book for a long while, awwnd hawd forgotten what an exceptional author she is. This book was a hard one to put down. I loved every minute of it. I will not go on to much about it you just need to find out for yourself but i highly recommend it. Excellent read.
on 22 October 2015
As always a really good book. Catherine Cookson writes about those years with such knowledge you are almost taken there. Hard to understand how people endured those times and the things they were forced to do.
on 10 November 2012
Normally I enjoy a good thriller/horror but sometimes need a change. Catherine Cookson excels with this book. An excellent read and very hard to put down.
on 11 March 2013
i just love catherine cookson books & this is one of her best, the dvd is really great too, she really knows her part of the world & its people.
on 2 May 2014
good easy reading book, which has inspired me to read more books by this author. would recommend this to my friends
on 19 December 2012
this is type of book, which is well read by my family, they have an interest with this particular author