on 21 January 2001
An easy-to-use ultimate Scrabble adjudicator. This fourth edition now reflects all new words in line with the latest edition of Chambesr dictionary and lets players get on with the delight of the game without resorting to argument over word acceptability. But as well as an arbiter, it's a great book for dipping into to pick up some seful words to play. My copy is already riddled with highlighter and I find fresh exotic words to impress opponents everytime I flick through it! The list of the essential two's and three's with definitions in the appendix serves to persuade newer players that, yes, those strange combinations are indeed real words!
0Comment| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 December 2000
A comprehensive book which will help the novice to the expert. Whether you are starting at Scrabble or looking to become word-champion use this resource to find out those feindish words that will help you get those extra points. Very useful for those two-letter words ch, st, jo, ee and the other 100-osdd two lette words. This can tell you those words that start with q without a u! There are some! Very educational aswell!!
on 13 May 2009
We play scrabble daily, and this 'book of words' is invaluable. Not only can it settle disputes, it broadens our word power. The only downside is that no descriptions or explanations are available, but we always have a dictionary on hand as a supplement. This is our second copy, as we wore out the first! As a shortcut, we sliced the two and three letter word section out of the old copy so that we can flip to it easily. We couldn't do without this book now.
on 5 April 2009
If you are a real Scrabble afficionado or if you want the widest choice of words to use, then the Chambers book of Official Scrabble Words is probably not the edition for you. There is a wider selection of words in the Collins counterpart. Also at the time of writing, the edition has not been as recently updated as the Collins.
Where Chambers scores, however, is in the handy sections for two and three-letter words at the back. Lets face it, if, like us, you work to the edict 'if its in the book, its valid', then it doesn't really matter whose book you use as long as you use the same one consistently. This is especially valid when you realise that most of the additional words in Collins that I have come across seem to be very obscure indeed. There are a lot of them and it can be very educational. However, beware: if you go for Collins, you'll want the dictionary as well as there are so many words you'll be desperate to know the meaning of - and they don't appear in the Oxford English!.

Ideally, I would like to see the Collins edition with a two and three-letter word section: then we're cookin' with gas!
on 31 October 2013
Great book for the word games my husband and I love playing. Difficult to get hold of now and no new updates available, so delighted to get hold of this copy.
Efficient and speedy delivery on the item. Thanks!
on 24 June 2012
I was so happy to find this no longer in print edition on Amazon as my copy was literally falling to pieces. The price was amazing and it was even better that a donation was made to charity by the seller.
on 19 January 2014
There are too many official versions so it is updated quickly to sell more books rather than help scrabble players, They could post an addenda change for each year on the net. It would help those who did not want to be paying out for new books.
on 18 February 2013
This is perfect for disputes in friendly games and helps with guidance for my 2003 computerised game. It will never be bang up to date as new words are appearing all the time. But very good for my use.
on 2 November 2010
Very pleased to receive a very good condition copy. As my original was falling apart . I received this item very promptly from the seller. This book is invaluable to a scrabble addict ..
on 1 May 2015
Good quality used every evening