on 14 February 2014
Fabulous companion for people who like cryptic crosswords. I'm just starting out and this book is the one I go to first and is invaluable to help me solve the grid. It is my first choice book as the printed version has the "answers" in length order first. For cryptics I feel is more useful because often for a bits'n'pieces clue I find myself looking for a 2 or 3 letter word for something in the wordplay.

I also have the Bradford's Crossword Solver's Dictionary which is also good and sometimes has additional words in but the "answers" are in alphabetical order, if I were to just have one printed book I would choose the Chambers. Bizzarely though the Kindle version of the Bradford book the "answers" are ordered by the number of letters.
on 30 December 2012
I find this dictionary to be the best available. Much better than my previous edition (hardback) of the Chambers and better than the Bradford which can be a pain with its refusal to separate into word lengths.
on 27 February 2013
This is the best friend of any crossword solver.Simply superb.If you haven;t got one you are not serious about cryptic crosswords.
Buy one now if you like cryptics.No other thesaurus can compare .I'd been struggling and after I purchased this book , my level of solving soared.
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2012
I owned the (2000) first edition of this dictionary and thought it was some way behind the similar one produced by Anne R Bradford. Now the two are pretty much equal, based on a quick look at a copy I've owned for one day. The list of rivers is now trimmed so that extremely unlikely ones like Guadalquivir are not listed, and the information for each headword seems roughly the same amount as Bradford, though there are differences in what is and isn't there. This one is a bit more helpful when you know the word-length you need. Everything in this book is sorted first by word length, but some content in Bradford is in dictionary-style alpha order instead.
on 24 November 2012
I have previously mused a similar named dictionary which was an odrdinary dictionary with added syninyms in oredr of number of latters as is this one but the one I have now purchased has a more extensive lits in many cases and, after a , after severak days of use is giving a wider range of possibles; I am sure it will assist in future crosswords over a few years. I have not tried the elctronic versions and at 89 I am unlikely to do so now.
on 30 June 2013
This book lists synonyms of words which occur in crossword clues, but arranged by the number of letters in the word. This makes it ideal forpeople trying to solve crosswords; and it is a big book listing very many words.
on 8 June 2014
This really is the bees knees as far as crossword dictionaries go. I should know, my 2 previous dictionaries fell apart through use (and I'm still no better at crosswords!) It's quite a heavy item, so no use to take to the beach, but is good on word lists and is easy to use.
on 5 February 2013
As an avid crossword "doer" one gets frustrated when stuck and this particular dictionary is proving very useful. I did use their web site to try and get answers but am glad I bought this.

If you love crosswords but get annoyed when stuck on a coupe of clues this is a good way of trying to solve them!!
on 1 June 2013
Very helpful for crosswords and very informative. The Chambers crossword book is good value for money. Very pleased with purchase.
on 12 January 2013
If, like me you are a puzzle addict, then this book is a must have. Thank you it's brilliant. C