on 20 October 2011
I have not owned many dictionaries before. Certainly I have never bought my own. So I am not an expert.

Nevertheless I think this one is awesome! Its B I G. It has loads of cool stuff planted in the middle (eg. lists of cool sounding words, words to treasure, good words for insults, top slang words etc).

In terms of being really comprehensive - it even has a definition for the word "tokoloshe", including its native spelling!

Large and in charge!
19 people found this helpful
on 22 February 2012
I have said before that Chambers is the only dictionary for serious crossword-puzzlers; not only is its content and presentation unmatched, but its build will stand up cheerfully to daily use throughout the life of the edition. This I can confidently affirm, since I am now on my fourth - and other family members are still regularly using my cast-offs !
One thing, though, about the latest edition: the new "Word Lovers' Miscellany" is probably a useful addition to the regular goodies, but I do wish that it had been placed at the end of the dictionary section rather than smack in the middle, and moreover smack in the middle of the ' m ' words, rather than at a letter-change point. The odd obscenity does pass my lips on occasion.......
But still and all, I wouldn't be without it !

Brian Haydock, Cheltenham
2 people found this helpful
on 31 October 2012
I've got lots of dictionaries. For a long time, I've been faithful to Oxford for a general English dictionary and had put off getting this one because of the sheer size of the thing. I foolishly thought it would be awkward to use, however it is not. It flops open and lies flat on any page, so you don't inadvertantly lose your word after having gone to the effort of finding it just to end up having the pages flick over. The Chambers dictionary doesn't do that. You also get a ribbon for a bookmark just to be on the safe side.

There is also a useful section of tricky little words for those who like word games. I'm busily swotting up on these so that I can be sure of thrashing my father at our next Boggle match!

Now that I've got this dictionary, I'm hoping to have many years of use from it and when I do eventually have to replace it, I shan't be settling for anything less.
on 23 February 2012
My last dictionary still had my school form number stamped in it! So being an avid codeword completer and noticing that this Chambers Dictionary was the crossword compilers "Bible" I treated myself.
Why did I wait so long? This is a masterpiece of words and all associated with them - excellent in every way, and a "must buy" even if you don't do crosswords/codewords. Beautifully bound; lies flat whatever page you are on and includes a very useful centre (strangely located!) section listing a miscellany of words including odd; insulting; surprising etc.etc. plus a wordgame companion incl words with J,Q,X and Z.
on 3 May 2013
this is the most beautiful and perfect Dictionary I have come across and each pages is soft just like in the Bible and I have always wanted to own the Chambers Dictionary and the Chambers Thesaurus as well and everything you every wanted to know about the English language is in the chambers and this is what the Dictionary should be like
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 July 2013
This is a replacement for my previous copy of the 12th edition.. The binding is really not strong enough to hold the weight of the pages, and with slightly more than average use, they tend to come apart
However, the words are all still there, and it's only my sense of tidiness that forces me to replace my coverless copy with a more tidy version.
Doubtless I'll be forced to buy another one before the next issue comes out!!
3 people found this helpful
on 10 May 2013
We need a dictionary for cryptic crosswords, resolving Scrabble disputes & general reference. Our old Chambers - 25yrs old - was falling to bits. So we bought the Concise Oxford. Big mistake. Many fewer entries, definitions aren't nearly detailed enough & etymological info is poor. It now gathers dust on a shelf: we bought Chambers & are now busily wearing out this edition.
on 9 October 2011
I bought this for my husband who seems to spend the best part of the day with his head stuck inside the book. According to him it is the Rolls Royce of dictionaries.
13 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 13 June 2018
Not as good as hardback. But useable.
on 21 March 2013
I love this dictionary. Our old Chambers had been so well used it was held together by about two rolls of tape. This one has a middle section with a lot of detail about cryptic crosswords as well as all the useful stuff for crossword addicts such as chemical symbols, Greek alphabet, musical terms etc.