Format: Paperback|Change

All too often, books that are written to help with spelling problems are written for the teacher, in teaching jargon, and not the student who needs help.

This book is written in a dyslexia - friendly style,and endorsed by the British Dyslexia Association. It is full of helpful suggestions and plenty of tried and tested strategies for improving spelling. It contains a colour coded section on a four-week programme for improving skills. There are activities (with answers) a useful Glossary, a list of difficult words and a dyslexia screening checklist.

Tutors looking for inspiration for creating new worksheets for their students will find plenty here, whilst the student who is trying to use the book as part of a self-help programme will find the book clear and easy to use. The author has a depth of experience as a literacy tutor, specialising in dyslexia and her knowledge shows.As a fellow tutor, I cannot praise this book highly enough - a most valuable and overdue addition.
on 19 February 2010
This book is very interesting.
It is helpful too. The author knows her stuff. Thanks.
I would recommend it.
on 27 September 2011
What I have read so far in this book is very simple and easy to understand. The headings are well thought out and I have bought Chambers Adult Learners Writing Guide which is another good book.
on 16 February 2012
You don't have to be an adult to benefit from this book. This is the 3rd copy I have bought, so it must be good ! Excellent for anyone struggling with spelling, dyslexic or not. I have bought one for myself as a dyslexia specialist teacher, and two for pupils who are still at secondary school.
on 7 January 2013
This is not a book about spelling rules but a straightforward, practical, concise look at how to learn and remember spelling using spelling strategies. These are all excellent techniques used by literacy teachers, and should be taught to and used by everyone. Even if our spelling is good we can still use some of the memory tricks and word breakdown for those difficult words we can never seem to remember.

She's broken the book down into four chapters.

A The Basics of Spelling - she explains different ways to help remember and learn spelling, incl: syllable breakdown, using all the senses, using memory tricks, words within words, seeing the shape of words.

B Breaking up Words - using syllable breakdown to help remember long words and how words are built using prefixes and suffixes, more memory tricks and a table of common word families/letter patterns.

C The Four-Week Routine - using the Look Say Cover Write and other methods above to help learn and remember key words for you.

D Things You Should Know About Spelling - difficult homophones (same sound but different spelling and meaning), importance of handwriting, phonics, proofreading and dyslexia.

Also included is a table of common letter patterns/word families, and also a brief history of how English spelling developed which is a great way to learn and improve spelling - try the ebook: The Reasons Why English Spelling is so Weird and Wonderful by Joanne Rudling.

Her methods are great for dyslexics "if you get it right for dyslexics you get it right for everyone else"

Also try A Useful Spelling Handbook For Adults by Catherine Taylor
on 28 January 2013
I really loved this book. I would say it should be more colourful but a highlighter fixes that problem. I would buy it with the Adult learners' writing guide: improve your writing skills.
I think my spelling has gotten better already after just a few days and i think more about how to spell. I have always struggled with my spelling and this a great wee guide that I think I will keep handy for the rest of my life.
Really well written and helpful book for all ranges of spellers.
on 13 January 2012
Provides fantastic rules that are easy to work with and remember. Very easy to make worksheets from and covers a huge range in a small book. GREAT value for money. I teach literacy and it taught me a few things. Awesome for weak spellers and dyslexics.
on 10 June 2013
Very enjoyable and easy to read book. I needed this book to fill in the gaps in my education, that I missed when I was at school. It's very helpful to everyone of all ages. Well worth the price, easy to understand.
on 10 June 2010
This fills a real gap in the market. Perfect for use with the young adult.
on 10 January 2016
I have a lot of trouble with spelling and im doing a course at the minit and its really helping. Id recomend it to anyone who has trouble with spelling