on 14 June 2008
I went into a bookshop to look at a number of manuals on card games before choosing this one. It's much the best I could find. Not only does it list a great variety of games (100 in all), but at the back it indexes them by "Type" (e.g. patience, family, trick-taking, melding, casino, children etc) and by "Number of Players". So if, for example, you're looking for a gambling game for three players, a quick bit of cross-referencing will suggest that Skat is the game for you.

As well as clear, well-illustrated instructions for famous games like Bridge, Bezique, Euchre, Hearts, Whist, Canasta, Rummy (and its spin-offs) and Poker (and all of its variants), there are plenty of unusual games for seasoned, curious players, such as Pope Joan, Schafkopf, Quinto and Calypso.

Best of all is Peter Arnold's writing style. He is clear, but never dry. His introduction, plus chapters on card history, etiquette and cheating make for good reading. Whether you want to refresh your memory on the rules of Snap so you can teach it to a small child, or get a solid grounding in Texas Hold 'Em - this book covers them all.

By the way, I bought it not only for myself, but in an attempt to persuade my two young sons that not all the best games are on a PC. Now they're playing Pontoon, Go Fish, Rummy and a number of other games. Not only are card games more social, but are good for kids' numeracy skills.

I have to add that in my copy I have spotted just one or two typos, but nothing too serious. I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 9 May 2008
This is an excellent book, covering 100 card games with a clear explanation of the rules and showing example hands to illustrate them. It also covers varitions of games (eg; the entry for Poker includes details of Draw, Stud, Texas Hold 'Em, etc). Great for learning new games or to put an end to arguments about the rules. Highly recommended.
on 17 January 2009
This is a great book. It has 100 card games - including Patience and Childrens Games. I bought this for the family and we are enjoying learning new card games. The explanations are clearly written and easy to follow. The initial part of the explanation gives the other names for the game and the type of game and number of players needed. This methodical layout makes it easy to choose an appropriate game to learn. The index is also good because you can either look for 'type of game' or for a game for a set number of players. This book will bring hours of family fun if you enjoy cards. I recommend it!
on 4 October 2009
We were getting bored with the same old card games, so my 9 year old son decided to look for a book that may help us out. And yes it has! We now play so many different games it is great, beats the telly any day! I have even started playing games on my own, including clock patience that my nan taught me and I could not for the life of me remember how to play, but now I do. Some games for adults only too, so remember that when your children may be flicking through the book! Overall a great book, with great explanations and easy to follow instructions.
on 11 May 2009
Excellent book, clear concise instructions for playing all the popular games, and stops arguments regarding the rules (some people think they know everything).
on 25 July 2013
Having learnt to play Five Hundred with relatives who were visiting from another country we wanted to carry on playing, but forgot some of the rules. Found this book on amazon, and it's brilliant. It is a good A5 size, so not too big, but packed with information. It's explanations are clear and concise, with good categories of games in the index so you can find what you want easily. Brilliant. Would highly recommend. Has led to hours of fun playing cards in the garden!
on 4 September 2012
We bought this for grown-ups to complement (Chambers Card Games for Families which we take on holiday with our small children. The bigger version is just crammed full of variants to while away countless evenings in different ways. Games are clearly explained and there's no frivolous stuff in here so it's easy to choose a game and get on and play.
on 20 October 2013
I bought this kindle version after a holiday with friends when we found we had a day of inactivity, wanted to play cards but couldn't remember many of the rules of more complicated games than rummy! We particularly wanted to play canasta but none of us could remember it. This book was one of the only books I could find that contained the rules of canasta, and of course many other games. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who enjoys playing cards.
on 22 November 2009
This is a great book. It gives clear instructions on how to play every game you can think of. Super fast delivery. Thank you Amazon.
on 5 November 2015
thorough and clear explanation of an enormous variety of card games - taught the children poker and unwelded them from their gadgets for nearly a week of candlelit evenings when power failed - great for budding card sharks