VINE VOICEon 9 April 2012
"And Saul's servants said to him, 'Surely, a distressing spirit from God is troubling you.'" -- 1 Samuel 16:15 (NKJV)

Although I didn't give this book the top rating, I certainly recommend that anyone who is a 39 clues fan read it. Important developments in the story occur here. I've done my best not to include spoilers . . . and I pray that I have succeeded.

The Dead of Night is one of those episodes in the 39 clues where your stomach may not be fully comfortable as you read about the events. As the book's blurb indicates, at the book's beginning Atticus Rosenbloom, Dan Cahill's eleven-year-old best friend, has been kidnapped by the Vespers. An angry Jake Rosenbloom, Atticus's brother, doesn't make saving Atticus any easier for Amy and Dan Cahill.

The book also sheds more light on the fate of the seven captives, which adds to the tension. Vesper One again shows his ruthlessness in putting pressure on Amy and Dan to do his will.

In the background, Dan grows in determination to bring down the Vespers. In the process, he's troubled by information that he doesn't quite know what to do with.

The story also requires Amy and Dan to retrieve another difficult object, one that will expand the geographical and historical horizons of almost all readers . . . of any age.

While the writing is certainly very fine, I felt a little let down by the plot, which seemed to be a bit too easy to anticipate in places. See what you think.
on 8 April 2013
The books in this series are going from strengths to strengths, and there is never a dull moment!

In book 3: The dead of night, we join Amy and Dan on another adventure. However this time we start of with the kidnapping of Atticus Rosenbloom, Dan's 11 year old and only friend, who has been kidnapped by the Vespers. Along with Jake Rosenbloom (Atticus' older half brother) they follow the trail that Atticus left for them.

Soon even more problems are raised as Vesper 1 asks Amy and Dan the impossible! In this book they also end up in trouble with Interpol and loyalties are tested in the Cahill family!

Peter Lerangis has created another great book in the series and still manages to develop the characters (Amy Cahill being an example) even after so many other books have been written! Once you are finished you want to quickly open the next book and read on!

The only complaint I have is that I wish it was longer! I am a fairly fast reader and it doesn't take me too long before I have finished these books! But well done another remarkable book :)
on 21 February 2013
We were there again on the edge of our seats, experiencing every moment of these continuing trials! The pain and torment carry on for the Cahills at the hands of those devious and ruthless Vespers! Never fails to excite from front to back cover! Well done for yet another impressive round of twists and turns. Surely they deserve a break soon.....you would think!
on 18 March 2013
I thought it was a very good book,the quality was brilliant but of course like all other 39 clue books,it is very short. I read it very very quickly so was finished by the time i next went to sleep. I certainly recommend the book but I also reccomend trying the nearby libraries first.
on 28 March 2015
Brilliant as far as book is concerned my only gripe was that I had to buy them separately as they weren't available as a set on there own so I paid for postage on EACH book not happy with that
on 11 January 2014
My wife passed away recently. She had run out of Dean Koontz books and I downloaded these for her. She could not get into these stories at all.
on 2 October 2012
This book is a good reader for 12years old young girls. Excelent history with lots of suspicious. You will see