Customer reviews

on 7 January 2012
This is another great sequel. The more books I read in this series the more I want to read. All the information are ingenious, bursting with erudition. More characters are added in this book and it makes the coterie seem really intelligent and able bodied to tackle any master mind criminal enemy family. However, Dan could be gathering the wrong ingredients to become even more exposed to the Vespers!!! I can hardly wait to read the next book "The Dead of Night". Have fun!!!
on 27 January 2013
The book is so very thrilling! It also seems very realistic in the sense that though Dan and Amy are able enough to get what Vesper 1 wants but are not able to save their family from him.... The characterization is realistic and show how the circumstances are influencing them to make certain decisions... The end is spine-chiiling.... I gave it 4 stars as no book can be perfect! I loved every second of reading it!
on 1 April 2013
It was spine chilling in a good way I loved the thrill and excitement I couldn't put it down I can't wait for the next 1 go 39 clues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Because of the sword of the enemy,
Fear is on every side." -- Jeremiah 6:25 (NKJV)

Long running adventure series can easily run out of steam as plots become predictable, writing becomes more pedestrian, and characters are stuck in suspended animation in terms of their development over time. The 39 Clues series, Cahills vs. Vespers, Book 2: A King's Ransom just proves it doesn't have to be that way. When I finished reading this book, I was more excited about the series and reading what will come in the next volume than ever before. A King's Ransom is a wonderful combination of great series planning, a tightly crafted plot, intriguing locales, interesting characters, and characters growing as a result of their experiences. I wish that more so-called adult adventure stories were as well designed as this book is.

Be sure to read at least Vesper's Rising and The Medusa Plot before starting this book. An even better plan would be to start at the series beginning with The Maze of Bones and work your way through from there in the order of publication. If you haven't read these books, you have a treat ahead of you!

It's hard to comment more specifically on this book without including spoilers, but let me try. Amy and Dan Cahill are at the beck and call of someone calling himself Vesper One who demands that they steal rare treasures as part of a ransom so that seven of their kidnapped relatives will be returned. The heat turns up on Amy and Dan in this book as the visibility of their activities increases and the number of people who want to interfere increases. In the meantime, their relatives are suffering . . . and Vesper One keeps Amy and Dan fearing the worst will happen. In this book, they visit sites I've never been to . . . and make them sound quite interesting. To succeed, Amy and Dan will need every resource they can apply. In the process, they may learn secrets that have been long lost, buried, and misunderstood. There may be a startling twist or two that will open your eyes in the process.

Have a great read!
on 29 July 2013
Another slice of excitement, where Amy and Dan carry on fighting the good fight whilst keeping us on the edge of our seats.
on 7 February 2013
My daughter loves this book, and the whole series, which are cleverly marketed! Teaches her some history too, so all good
on 28 March 2015
Book brilliant but as I have said before postage very expensive as I had to but each book seperately
on 10 July 2016
Bought for my granddaughter who absolutely loves this series of books.
on 5 June 2013
I, God think that this book is great, i looooooooooooooooooooove it !!! This book is almost as good as one book I would write. I am God and I loooooooooooove this book.
on 29 January 2014
It was my choice and it is well made - Delivered before the expected date - and well packaged - Nothing else I can say