Format: Hardcover|Change

In RUINED by Paula Morris, Rebecca feels out of place and homesick when she is suddenly shipped off to stay with an "aunt" in New Orleans while her dad travels to China. She doesn't make friends at school, but she does make a friend in the most unexpected place- the cemetery that her aunt has forbidden her to go to.

The only catch is that her friend, Lisette, is a ghost. Once Rebecca finds out why Lisette is still haunting the city, she's determined to figure out her murder. But she soon finds out that her own past is one of secrets and that her life may be in danger.

I think my favorite part of the story was reading all about New Orleans. I loved reading some of the history of the city and of Mardi Gras. I went there last spring so it was neat to read about things I have learned.

This was a fun ghost story. There were several big twists at the end. Two of them were complete surprises and one I saw coming. I really liked the characters of Rebecca and Aurelia. I found them both believable and Aurelia seemed so cute. This is a fun paranormal read.

Reviewed by: Andrea
on 15 March 2010
I really enjoyed this book. The author kept you guessing at possible outcomes throughout the novel. Unlike a lot of stories, I wasn't able to see the outcome until near the very end. Good climax, with interesting twists. I would recommend this book to friends.
on 25 September 2014