This book is an in depth look at the lives of Captain Bligh and Fletcher Christian,from their beginnings, to the Bounty, and onwards towards their deaths.

It must be said first of all that there has been fabulous research done by Richard Hough and this is a great read for anyone with an interest in the Bounty mutiny. I recommend it with no hesitataion at all. The story is always pushed along nicely and you will learn things you may never have known. I was particularly impressed with the way the lives of the two men are discussed after the mutiny. Hough doesn't rush through this period, he makes it as engrossing as the mutiny itself.

The conclusion he reaches as to why the two men fell out in such a dramatic way is controversial, but it does seem to have a certain logic, although we may never know the real reason. This book doesn't suffer by Hough's opinions at all and when so much hard work has gone into a book like this, you have to respect his opinion.

Buy it without delay, it really is a most interesting read and gives a new insight into this famous story.
on 11 September 2013
I raced through this book because it is so well written. It's basically the same as the Anthony Hopkins film version with lots of unknown fascinating facts thrown in. Exactly what I was looking for. Having read Richard Hough's Captain Cook I can highly recommend.
I was however disappointed with the quality of the book I received. I often buy second hand because I prefer hardback copies, I only ever purchase when they are described as "very good" or "like new". This book was acceptable at best. Would not purchase from this seller again.
on 19 October 2010
This book was written almost 40 years ago and covers familiar ground, with the author choosing his favourites of different interpretations of events and occasionally putting words and thoughts into the protagonists' mouths and minds. He has an interesting take on the possible background to the Mutiny, which he suddenly springs on the reader without prior warning, in the last chapter.