on 25 August 2009
There is no need to struggle to find your way around the heavens. I did until "Turn Left at Orion" was recommended to me as a must have book.
I had a quick read through and then used it. It was not long before I was looking and searching the sky with purpose. I should also add finding what was described in the book.
Absolutley no qualms in recommending "Turn Left at Orion" to other newbie stargazers who use small telescopes or binoculars.
It's also good for more serious gazers who don't know every part of the heavens. We can't all be Partick Moore's can we (at least not straight away)?
on 11 April 2015
Great reference of stargazing targets that should be one of the first on beginners' bookshelves.
Bought some time ago, but I still return to this book to plan stargazing sessions. A comprehensive guide to targets for typical amateur telescopes, with background info on the objects. Highly recommended for beginners as a way to learn your way around the night sky, find & view objects without digital aids like go-to mounts, plus useful maps and details of the most prominent features on the moon.
I own both the Kindle edition and the spiral-bound version. Of the two, I recommend the spiral-bound version, which is in a large format that is easy to use in the field under red light.
on 11 November 2013
I love a good read, and this is just that. Nothing is like opening a new book - e-readers eat your heart out! Will be added to my bookcase to be read again and again.
on 29 July 2014
Inspirational, especially how one can proceed as a hobbyist with a small 2 or 3 inch scope. Good reading on cloudy nights. If I had to pass some constructive criticisms : some objects not easily viewable from my lattitude 51.5 (London), especially Scorpius and Saggitarius, which is too low in the horizon. Also some assistance with light pollution would be good as I expect most of us live in cities ; perhaps a recommendation on a pollution filter? Otherwise its a book I keep returning to.
on 14 February 2009
Good guide to the night sky, Ive been interested in the night sky and astronomy for years and have many books on Astronomy. But I would recommend this for newcomers and the experienced alike. Its part of my night time viewing kit.
on 12 July 2004
The best book available for beginners.
It guides you around the sky using logical steps and takes you to objects you can really see.
Start your new hobby here.
on 12 June 2011
im a member of my local astronomy society,this book was recommended to me months ago by amateur astronomers.
this is a brilliant read, worded for beginners and shows you what to expect when looking through small telescopes.
also shows you how to use stars to accurately point you in right direction to whatever you might want to look at.
really a must buy for beginners and experienced astronmers alike.
on 27 May 2011
if you look inside here, the edition has data for 2000 to 2011 and 2012 - so it won't be fully useful for very long.

Glad I checked inside!
44 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2010
AS a complete beginner who has just bought a telescope and didn't know where to start I am finding this book really useful. It looks a bit daunting at first flick through, but once you get into the text it is very clear and easy to follow and quite entertaining. The tables of when to look for things are very helpful. The title says it all, it is that easy!
on 5 April 2010
This book was for my grandchildren,to accompany their Xmas present of a telescope. As the book was out of stock then, I wasn't able to order it till February. Eager to get it over to the boys I've only glanced thru' it, but I liked the simple language & conversational tone. & the pictures are graphic & simple too. In other words, it doesn't seem to 'blind with science'