Customer reviews

on 30 June 2007
As a non-historian beginning some researches into local history, I have found this small volume invaluable. Grappling with Gregorian and Julian dates, never mind 'regnal years' dating, has never been my favourite pastime, but this resource cuts straight through to the chase. I don't use it every day, but I certainly feel satisfied that were I have to a problem with understanding a historical date, I'd have a 99% chance of solving it with this. Obviously, unlike the previous reviewer, my needs are not highly demanding or academic, but I think a professional would know where to go to get their questions answered. I would be surprised if enthusiastic amateur local/family historians weren't fully satisfied by Cheney - at worst, I would have thought there should be one copy per local history society!

Although this is a reference book rather than a reading book, it's also fun dipping in and finding out arcane factoids to amaze and delight your friends and family!
on 12 March 2014
A vital resource for historians and history students. Acts of parliament are referred to by reginal year and this book makes translating that to calendar year easy. Knowing when saints days were in specific years is also very handy.

The introduction and notes are a clear explanation of changes in calendars and dates.
on 16 March 2015
This is a classic reference book absolutely necessary when dealing with original manuscripts, especially before 1750. Most academic libraries have it, but if yours doesn't, then invest in this life-saver!
on 1 August 2014
Smashing book. Just what I need for archive work to work out reigns of sovereigns and also dates of Saints Days. Invaluable.
on 20 March 2016
Excellent handbook, I refer to it almost every day
on 11 November 2015
Good quality and fast delivery
on 10 January 2013
Has provided answers to all the questions I have asked of it so far, as I progress with my research in Local History.
on 2 December 2015