Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 November 2013
It's helping me greatly throughout my phonetics course, and is fine even if you read the book without the CD. Clearly structured and well-written, it's good for beginners whilst also providing in-depth detail for if you want to learn further. Pleased with the physical condition of the book as well.
on 10 July 2016
I love this book! I purchased to help me with my studies in Speech Therapy. It provides all the basic information that you need to know about phonetics and phonology. It includes a section at the beginning of the book showing the symbols for all English vowels and consonants, including dipthongs (2 combined individual vowels to form 1 phonetic vowel sound). This book also includes information about the acoustics of voice, which I was studying at the time I bought the book. Well worth is for budding phoneticians out there!
on 28 February 2015
This is a truly amazing book. The audio material is excellent. Having studied in times when we had cassettes or nothing, I believe that there are very few sources of this quality. There are other books out there, but they are not professionally done. This book is written by people who know what they are talking about. Oscar M. Jimenez Phd/MA
on 30 October 2013
This book is a really good way to introduce yourself to phonetics. The lecturers widely refer to it and it has become an essential part to my masters
on 25 January 2015
Very nice quality of the book. As for the contents, peter Roach has done a great job to introduce people, even those with no knowledge on the field, to the science of phonetics and phonology. Comprehensible, with helpfull pictures and cd audio exercises. I used it as a coursebook for the university proposed by the professor, and am reall satiafied.
on 12 April 2013
This one I consider a master piece, it was really helpful to have this particular book, I would recommend it.
on 28 July 2014
Book highly recommended. Some confusion with the order initially but got resolved and received the right book with small delay.
on 13 August 2013
I'm doing an MA in voice and this is on the reading list. Would still recommend it regardless for its simplicity and structure.
on 20 January 2015
Excellent. The best approach to phonetics and phonology I have come into contact with, explanations are very clear.
on 27 November 2014
Great insight to English phonetics and phonology, for both native and non native English speakers.