Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 February 2010
I bought this new edition when I did my CELTA course and it's fantastic! The old edition is already really good and very thorough as far as the content goes. However, the big advantage of the second edition is the new layout. There are coloured headings, tables and boxes with examples which make finding specific content and reading in general much easier (especially for a visual learner like me).
I have used it a lot during the course and found the timelines especially helpful. There are also some exercises at the end of each chapter.
I can really recommend this book if you want to do a CELTA or similar English teaching course.
on 16 August 2010
The book is clearly laid out and has a logical format. It has some good exercises for practicing the different rules and some handy sections for what students may find problematic. It doesn't differ too much from other grammar books and so feels very similar to the popular Murphy book even though this Parrott book has more content. The one area that this and all the other grammar books I've bought so far let me down is in the indexing. It's not always easy to quickly access a section when you have a query. Usually those queries are for the more complex forms and it takes a lot of flicking between chapters to establish which rule applies to your query.
on 28 September 2010
I was recommended this book as someone new to TEFL and I was not disappointed. It is a comprehensive guide to grammar and well set out. I use it as a reference when preparing lessons. I also found it very useful on the CELTA course
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 July 2014
Technically it's hard to fault - it has good information and is detailed. However, in terms of practical use, I seldom use it because it is too dry and sometimes too detailed. The main alternative is Swan - and of the two, I much prefer the Swan book. Both are reference books and both cover pretty much the same ground. I prefer the layout of Swan (it's laid out alphabetically which can be problematic but not for long). Parrott might be more academic and detailed but for me, it's just not as practical.
on 20 July 2013
I'm using this book for my online TEFL course, and it's certainly proving to be very useful. I'll also be using as a recommended text for my CELTA course in September. Clear explanations, and very easy to use. Highly recommended to all TEFL/CELTA students.
on 7 January 2016
Book is really helpful for native english speakers wen doing advanced esl course such as the celta or delta. Many of us take grammar for granted as we are not exposed to all types while in schools compare to foreign speaking nationals. A great book to help with English grammar.
on 15 October 2010
This is a very useful, detailed book for those teachers who wish to study and teach at higher levels. I would suggest that this is an essential text for postgraduate students of Applied Linguistics and/or the Cambridge Delta.
on 28 September 2012
If you are doing a TESOL or CELTA you need this book. If you are teaching English as a foreign language then you need this book. It is the best book by a country mile when it comes to explaining grammar and giving examples to illustrate each point. I recommend it for any student learning English too. It is simply a godsend!
on 12 June 2015
Used this extensively as an EFL teacher - left my copy in Rwanda for the English department in a secondary school, who've found it very clear and useful. I rebought this to brush up on English Grammar as a primary school teacher. It's easy to understand and gives basic exercises for teachers to use to reinforce learning.
on 15 January 2015
love it very good book. it has all you need to know. I am using it for my daughter who is going to take level 6 exams and she really loves it. I like it too and learnt a lot of thing I didn't know. over all it deserves the five stars.