Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 February 2010
I was a long time NIV user and finally got tired of the inaccuracies and abominable paraphrases which cast doubt upon the Word of God. I needed a more literal Bible. After much searching, I finally decided upon the NASB, which is by far the most literal mainstream modern Bible available. It is marketed as the most literal Bible, but it is not more literal than the King James Version. What the NASB consistently puts in the margin will usually be in the main body of text in the King James Version. It is definitely the most literal modern version however.

The NASB is an option which doesn't get that much publicity - I think putting, "American" in the title puts off non-Americans. I was extremely glad I went for the NASB though. It is very literal and when it does divert from the text, it puts the literal Hebrew or Greek in the margin. It is very easy to read, has very little, "Biblish" which is what is found in other formal equivalent (word-for-word) translations, has in capitals references to other verses and has a decent margin as well! Asterixes are put next to words in the New Testament which are past tense in English but present tense in the Greek.

The Old Testament is based on the Masoretic Text but the translators also consulted the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Septuagint. The New Testament is based on the Alexandrian Texts. If you Byzantine Text supporter, most (but certainly not all) of the passages which would be "missing" in a Alexandrian text Bible are included in brackets in this Bible.

The paper is reasonably thick, the leather is beautiful, there are lots of pages at the back to write notes in and there is a great concordance at the back as well - I find it hard to imagine a better Bible.

Minor negative points are the strong theological bias in the sub-headings of paragraphs e.g. John 1's is, "The Deity of Christ" and Revelation 12's is, "The Man-child, Christ." Words of Christ are in red with no explanation why.

Aside from these minor issues, it is an absolutely magnificent Bible.
on 27 October 2014
After reading all the reviews for a Bible for my daughters up and coming birthday I finally thought, after searching extensively that I had found the perfect Bible. How wrong can one be? I had instructions from my daughter which included slimline, reference, good print size.....my preferences that were added to the list was a good quality soft leather....A Bible that would stand the test of time. I was so disappointed when I received it because it was much smaller size wise than the other slimline Bible I had seen in real life, but it was too late to return as it was for a birthday gift. The text, after one reviewer raving about it, was completely not the clear type I expected and the suppleness of the goatskin was again a disappointment. Its only saving grace was that it was a reference Bible......So for all you Bible makers out there....I would love a tall, slimline, moleskin, reference Bible with a good spaced type.....Is there one and I just didn't look hard enough?