Customer reviews

Computability and Logic Fifth Edition
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 January 2011
Tough to get in a frenzy about this one, despite the 5 stars. The subject matter is theoretical and abstract in the extreme, but I found myself able to follow the main lines. I imagine this would take a student of the philosophy of mathematics quite some way; at least to Godel's proof of incompleteness. I found the sections on computability and Turing also manageable.

Not exactly sun lounger reading, but serves its purpose precisely as it should.

S Gleadall - author of The Metaphysics of Market, a philosophy of finance introduction.
on 21 July 2011
Difficult to get excited about this book even when it is required reading....

I thought I could handle things mathematical until I came by this book. Admittedly, the subject of this book is not my area, so I may be talking out of turn.

So, my criticisms? The book is written in a dry and rather stilted style. The words do not flow easily, but, worse, the mathematical ideas are ponderous or too brief in their presentation and assume a lot of the reader. A proof could be presented in a couple of simple lines, but when you dig further, it assumes some intermediate steps. Even simple concepts like operations with Turing machines are made obtuse. What a contrast, with Roger Penrose, who gives a lucid explanation in his "The Emperor's New Mind"!

The sections on Logic are equally obscure, and extremely boring in their presentation. I am sad to say that this is the FIRST Maths text that made me fall asleep. The authors could not have done better if they had ventured out to find a cure for insomnia.

Sorry!