on 27 March 2010
I should have paid attention to the previous review! The audio quality is indeed dreadful - imagine a home video recording of a school play... okay, now imagine paying good money for something that is not even as good as that.

In addition, the text is spoken by many of the cast with poor intonation and very little evidence of understanding of what they are saying, which makes the CD effectively useless as a teaching aid. Whilst I accept that the use of children in the cast is designed to appeal to the targetted age of students, it seems like there was no direction or rehearsal of their performances.

I also agree with the previous reviewer that a decent recording of the Minimus dialogues would be worthwhile, but would not advise anyone to buy this CD.
on 8 February 2010
Having received both the CD and book, I was extremely unhappy with the quality of the CD. It's a cast comprising of both adults and children. How it was recorded is unknown, but at times the children are too quiet and unintelligable, occasionally the adults vocalise where they cannot be understood either.
If this was recorded better it would be a good addition to the book (i.e. 1 character doing all voices (Such as the Harry Potter audios), however in its current form it's not.

Whilst it follows the stories in the book, it's not of quality to justify purchase.

All I can say - is can the authors re-release it ? as I would buy again if the quality was better.

I can't fault the book and say to people, buy it... But you "may" need a tutor to cover off the verbal Latin.
on 14 June 2011
Considering the cost of this CD, the recording quality is quite bad - both the actual volume/background sound, and the quality of the readers. They are obviously not professional actors, which is fine for reading a story, but when you are trying to teach Latin it helps to have convincing, realistic voices!
on 31 May 2015
The sound is terrible, like an amateur home recording. The voices have strong English accents and the speech is monotonous and nothing like acting out a fun dialogue! Minimus is a great course and I'm using it with my son. The CD is an absolute must for beginners and we have to use use it, whether we like it or not. Considering it is a beginner's level, the quality of the recording may not be that important but for the price it's sold at and considering the overall price of the course material, this is truly appalling. I know this course is quite popular so perhaps CUP could afford to invest into a professional recording.
on 13 March 2011
I'm not sure what equipment the current other two reviewers were using, but my CD is clear and well pronounced by adults and children alike. I think this will be an invaluable support to working with Minimus at school.
on 9 March 2015
Unfortunately this is completely useless without the book. This is hardly latin for beginners...
on 8 June 2013
kids enjoy listening and learning the words and the book adds to the CD I wish it was a DVD.