on 27 September 2016
Really clear explanations and exercises to help test your understanding. This book also has a study guide at the back with a test. Once you've done the test, check your answers and if you get any wrong it directs you to the right unit. If you have quite a good understanding of grammar I'd recommend getting the Intermediate level (English Grammar in Use) which doesn't spend so much time on the basics and goes into more depth for more difficult concepts. My husband bought this about 4 years ago and still uses it to refer to!
on 28 May 2016
This is an excellent book. I teach English as a foreign language privately and I've been using the book for years This copy I bought for a friend abroad who's also started teaching English. The grammatical topics are listed in a logical order. The left hand page has an explanation and the right hand page has exercises as practice.
From the beginning, a certain amount of vocabulary is inevitably used so, if teaching someone who is a complete beginner, I type up a simple worksheet first as preparation.
Although I also use other material, as a teacher of EFL, I can't imagine life without this book!
on 13 May 2016
Very easy to understand, perfect illustration. Once read means already 90% learned. It is not like learning by stupid repeating sentences of the same type, the explanations are leading to a real understandig of the sense in the structure of the english language. I bought it for my son to support him in his first foreign language.
on 9 November 2013
My students love this, as much as someone can love a grammar book! Its all in colour and everything is simply explained. The grammar points are broken down and put simply on a two page spread, a grammar point on page 2 and the exercises on page 3, no looking halfway down another page to finish the exercises or searching to find the explanation. Fantastic, and very organised with the content and the way everything is laid out.
I only wish there were more exercises for each grammar topic, but then they did publish supplementary exercises which I also use. This is a good series, I recommend this book to anyone teaching English (or perhaps even learning by themselves).
I do have another wish that there were grammar books of comparable quality for learning French, Spanish etc.. but nothing comes even close.
Really recommended, A* !
on 2 March 2011
This is an extremely useful study and teaching aid. It does away with scary grammatical explanations and instead leads the student through various models in common english to provide real experience. Each section comes with an exercise to cement ideas in the students' minds and these are not complicated and provide useful conversation points for lessons. On the whole a book which concentrates on 'when' we use as opposed to 'why' and while it is important for foreign language students to learn grammar, this is invaluable as a first step.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 November 2015
Always a fan of his work . Very useful for practicing Grammar and I often use it as homework for my students
on 26 June 2014
A long-seller and long-time favourite, this reference and practice book is very popular with my adult students of English as a Second or Other Language, too. The CD helps with listening and pronunciation, and the answer key and extra exercises at the back truly make this a self-study book. Having a tutor on hand never hurts, of course :)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 January 2012
I teach English as a foreign language, and this is the perfect book for beginner to intermediate level students. It teaches grammar in a practical, easy to understand way. Highly recommended.
on 10 April 2017
using along side my degree
on 26 June 2017
Cambridge grammar books have been my favourite since University and now a must for all my ESOL students.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse