Customer reviews

on 6 September 2000
I was very eager to read and study this book, but I am somewhat disappointed. The level of CS in this book is on the watered down side -- It definitely isn't Knuth in Mathematica. I was particularly annoyed in chapters where one topic was started -- and where one would expect the next section to build on -- only to find that the author had switched to some different topic altogether. (or was this the editor wielding the ax?)
I also wonder how much any novice will get out of this book in terms of learning Mathematica. If the intended audience hasn't mastered Mathematica before reading this book -- then they will be left crying for help.
I don't think this book can be used in a CS101 course. The usual algorithms one finds in Knuth aren't even mentioned, or properly analyzed. The problems in the book are certainly not challenging.
Granted, a proper CS book would today be a massive tome. Maeder created a medium sized volume that has some merit - its value depends on what you expect. I do not need to keep this book anywhere near my desk as a reference -- it is relegated to the doorstop.
6 people found this helpful