Customer reviews

on 20 September 2000
I teach 2nd year dynamics in Cambridge and I looked at several textbooks for my course. I chose Hand and Finch because, unlike so many books which simply present the same material as other textbooks in the same standard way, they have come up with a fresh perspective. The book came out of an interactive course at Cornell where the students and teachers participated in detailed discussion, and the excitement rubs off in the book. Lots of interesting examples pop up and the book is a fun read. The level is pretty advanced, going up to graduate standard. The only topic that I think is poorly presented is fictitious forces in rotating frames - this is done in a thorough and correct manner which I find clumsy and probably inaccessible to students. Definitely my favourite dynamics book.
on 3 August 2015
It's not perfect sure, but for what it is its definitely a good thing. I've come back to this book in revision of theoretical mechanics for graduate study and I really appreciate its presentation a second time around. They leave you to fill in a lot of mathematical gaps yourself - but this is actually helpful for the serious student as it precludes laziness (just writing down formulae without verifying or checking them yourself). I used it as a second year undergraduate taking my first course in Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, which is a standard time to have those subjects introduced as an undergraduate. Boy oh boy did I wish I'd paid more attention in first year mechanics though...
on 13 June 2010
This book assumes that you are familiar with classical mechanics, and I thought that I was, but soon found that I needed a much more solid grounding in Newtonian methods.

I did manage to get to the end of the first chapter, and answer many of the problems. Lots of worked examples would have helped a great deal, if only to help drive home the important points. I felt like I was being led somewhere, without having been told the destination, so I had no way to tell what was vitally important and what was merely incidental.

The only worked example was right at the end of the chapter. Unfortunately, it was not posed as a question, so there was no way I could try to answer it myself first. Again, the feeling of being led somewhere, without knowing where.

I eventually stopped reading this book, for the time being, having decided to backtrack to something more basic. I would prefer Lagrangian mechanics to appear well into a book, rather than thrust upon me on the third page.

So I am now working on "Classical Mechanics" by Kibble and Berkshire. No Lagrangian mechanics until chapter 10, and I hope that after studying this chapter I will feel ready to return to Hand and Finch.
on 10 February 2016
This book is very useful for 2nd/3rd year undergraduate Physics students, to accompany Classical/Analytical Mechanics courses.
on 14 March 2013
Not a book for the "faint hearted." A good grounding in math is needed to fully engage with this text.
on 24 September 2016
Nice book.
on 1 May 2008
If you are looking for a book suitable to an examination pass,i'd better recommend other authors ,as Goldstein,Morin,Taylor,Greiner ,or for more mathematically inclined, Scheck.
Hand and Finch might be more troublesome.